Author Topic: PixelNet to DMX  (Read 14630 times)

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
PixelNet to DMX
« on: September 25, 2013, »
I am in the process of putting the finishing touches on my new project and I’m looking for a few beta testers.  The project is a Pixelnet to DMX converter (If you were at the Academy you might have gotten a look at it).  This project works just like the DMX output on RJ Active Hub but it looks like a SSC.

It was designed to look just like a SSC but outputs one universe of DMX instead.  It has 8 jumpers to select which 512 channel section that you would like to copy out of the Pixelnet stream.  It also will pass-thru power and Pixelnet, so that it doesn’t take away any of your ports on the hub.

I am looking for a few beta testers that have more than just Lynx’s equipment.  I would like this tested on as much different equipment as possible so that I know its working.  If you are interested please let me know.

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
Re: PixelNet to DMX
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, »
I'd be glad to help beta this.  I have Lynx, Open DMX 3 Channel controllers, Rainbow Floods, and access to some Renards that I can play with.  Let me know if this works for you. 

Duane

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, »
I'd be happy to beta test this for you.

Denny

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, »
I can test as well.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, »
I can test also.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, »
To give you an idea of the sort of second-guessing you can expect from me... :)

1) Would the cost and trouble be less for a pair of PCB-mounted RJ45 jacks compared to the pair of pigtails?

2) Would your processor be able to provide (4) DMX universes with the 4 pairs of wires?  Downstream you could use a (de)combiner to separate out the 4 pairs.  (this approach would mean no pass-through power, but most DMX devices wouldn't know how to handle it anyway...)

It looks good, and I can't wait to add it to my show!!

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, »
Ok I think I have got enough testers (about 6). I will send you all a PM.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, »
To give you an idea of the sort of second-guessing you can expect from me... :)

1) Would the cost and trouble be less for a pair of PCB-mounted RJ45 jacks compared to the pair of pigtails?

2) Would your processor be able to provide (4) DMX universes with the 4 pairs of wires?  Downstream you could use a (de)combiner to separate out the 4 pairs.  (this approach would mean no pass-through power, but most DMX devices wouldn't know how to handle it anyway...)

I would think that the purpose here it to prove it functional, not to redesign it. 

It looks good, and I can't wait to add it to my show!!
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, »
This could really be argued both ways... I think by having it use pigtails it makes it more flexible.  Its also harder to use RJ45 jacks and put it into a PVC pipe. You would have to drill a bigger hole in the end cap or put a new end on the cat5 cable.  Also If you only need to go a few feet you could get away with just cutting a cat5 cable in half and soldering that in.  You could also solder a male on one side and a female on the other or the other way around.  It just all depends on where the user is looking to put this.

The PIC I am using only supports 2 serial ports (PixelNet IN, DMX OUT). So to add any more outputs it would take a big re-design (more chips and software).  Sorry its not going to be possible right now.

The power on the output side (on the right) was meant to go with the pixelnet data that is also passed to that side of the board so that you could still run a SSC after.

Thank you for the suggestions keep them coming... but for now I think the HW side is good.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, »
Good points.  Thanks for considering the suggestions.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, »
Any chance this would be ready to use this season?

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, »
It has tested well with my setup. This is why I asked for beta testers so that we can confirm that it works with more then just my setup.  As soon as we confirm that it works I will ask about a doing a coop.  But it’s late in the year so who knows if it will happen.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, »
It has tested well with my setup. This is why I asked for beta testers so that we can confirm that it works with more then just my setup.  As soon as we confirm that it works I will ask about a doing a coop.  But it’s late in the year so who knows if it will happen.

Cool. If you have the PCBs ready I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one and even getting individual the components if I had to if a co-op wasn't going to happen.

Great work on the piece by the way!

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, »

Cool. If you have the PCBs ready I wouldn't mind getting my hands on one and even getting individual the components if I had to if a co-op wasn't going to happen.

i wouldn't mind having one of these also. Is there any specs on this yet? what it hooks into etc?

Offline einstein2883

• Beta Tester
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, »

i wouldn't mind having one of these also.

Sorry guys I don’t plan on sending any more PCB’s (if I send any more I think this will start to look like an unapproved co-op). 

Is there any specs on this yet? what it hooks into etc?
The specs are that it takes Pixel net data and converts 512 channels of it to DMX.  So it should hook into any DMX device.  Hope that is what you were asking.