Author Topic: Review of Technicolor Strings  (Read 28043 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Review of Technicolor Strings
« on: September 26, 2013, »
Review of Technicolor Strings
by Steve Gase, Sept. 25th, 2013

Today I received a shipment of Technicolor smart strings from Ray Wu.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The following is a collection of observations that can may guide you in your own selection of smart LED strings.
Ray Wu offers Technicolor strings in various configurations.  The string design is available from many manufacturers and vendors.  The variations in chip, and chip speeds may introduce compatibility problems.  The WS2811 12v chip is compatible with DLA Smart String controllers, but ONLY if the chip speed is consistent with the DLA firmware.  At this time, only Ray Wu is known to produce WS2811 strings with the correct speed, compatible with DLA.

Among the customizations available from Ray Wu, the WS2811 chip can substituted with the TM1804 chip.  Using the TM1804 adds additional cost to the string because the chip itself is more costly.  Since DLA has supported TM1804 since the beginning of the SSC, this might be considered a "safer" choice.  Based on observations below, using TM1804 is unnecessary.
Other chips and voltages are available from Ray Wu for non-DLA applications.  Ray Wu can also alter spacing, lead wire length, and tail wire length to your specifications.   Customizations usually will not add to the cost, but they may add to the manufacturing/delivery time.
The 13.5mm 3-core water-proof connectors used by the Technicolor strings are compatible in size and fit with the connectors used in DLA SSC coops.

A "standard" Technicolor string has a 76-inch lead wire, has 5" spacing from the center of one LED to the center of the next LED, and a 6" tail wire.

Power:
Using a 50-count WS2811 string, and the SSCv3 in test mode, I observed 2.76 amps during a "full white".  If you extrapolate this out, using all 1365 pixels in a 4096-channel pixelnet universe will consume 905-watts... using the 80% rule for planning, you'd need a power supply that delivers 1150-watts of 12v power for this "max" configuration.

A 100-count string will use 5.5 amps... which exceeds the 4 amp rating of the SSC and cat5 wire used for power delivery.  Power Injection at the end of the 100-count string will be necessary.
The benefits of the Technicolor smart strings include:
  • injection-molded case to prevent water intrusion (strings have been submerged and frozen without ill-effect)
  • black UV-resistent wiring and plastic (this has a downside in identifying the wires)
  • water-proof connectors at each end of the string
  • extensions on the case to allow zip-tie mounting
  • flat back on the case to allow consistent directional mounting
  • each case is marked on the side with the direction (pointing from input end to output end)
For my tests, I had 50-count and 100-count strings, each with 12v WS2811 and TM1804 chips.
I also tested each with DLA smart string SSC controllers: v1, v2 (altered to v3), and v4... with latest firmware (as of 9/25/13)

In short -- all combinations worked as intended.   ;D ;D ;D  I used xLights to vary intensities, and generate various effects and color mixtures. Each configuration was tested for 10+ minutes before moving to the next test combination.

Gotchas... Pin Usage:
The string includes pre-wired 3-conductor water-proof connectors.  The wiring scheme MAY be different from a scheme you have implemented in your own 3-conductor smart string setups.  The scheme documented in the DLA wiki is INCOMPATIBLE with the new Technicolor strings.  Care should be taken in your wiring and your mixing of other smart strings and controllers to prevent damage of the lights and/or controllers.
Adding to the confusion is a black-and-white photo with mark-ups which is found on Ray Wu's site.  In this picture the output connector is correctly described, but the input connector is wrong.
The correct connector pins and wire definitions are captured below in a picture. 

The Ray Wu TM1804 and WS2811 strings each used the identical pin-outs.

Gotchas... Color Order:
The order of Red, Green, Blue is different from other smart string pixels offered by Ray Wu.  The current LYNX Smart String Utility can be used to alter the color order, and future versions of this software will improve the selection process.  If "String" is selected for the Smart String Device Type, then the colors will appear as BGR (blue, green, red) and will mismatch most sequence software.  If "Square Modules" is selected, then RGB order will be presented.

Color order is consistent for both TM1804 and WS2811 Technicolor strings.  Using BGR or "Square Modules" will fix this for both chips.

Gotchas... Weight:
When first holding a bundle of Technicolor strings, you may notice that they are heavier, likely due to the improved casing.  I compared a 100-count Technicolor string with a 100-count older smart string.  Technicolor: 2-lbs 7-oz   Older string with connector: 1-lb, 5-oz.  Weight of the strings may impact your method to hang the lights, and also the appearance -- as they are more likely to bow inwards.

Gotchas... Power Injection:
Some users are planning to use power-injection to limit dimming at the end of the strings.  Using 2 of the three pins on the output connector will simplify this task.  Ray Wu also has T-connectors that can be used for this purpose.

Ordering information:

50nodes DC12V WS2811 LED technicolor pixel;waterproof, full color

100nodes DC12V WS2811 LED technicolor pixel

100nodes DC12V TM1804 LED technicolor
(custom, no link available)

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tmcteer

Re: Review of Technicolor Strings
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, »
Thanks for the informative review.  Did you order any of the covers screw-on vs slip-on?

Tom

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, »
Just a heads up.  Due to the overwhelming positive response to these, I have been working on a V2 technicolor string.  They are just about finished, although will probably arrive too late for most people to feel comfortable planning, etc.  Although they will not be available in multiple IC types, (will only be ws2811) there will be several improvements.  Most notable is the change to using a waterproof 5050 SMD type LED.  The lower power consumption on these allows for longer runs before you need to inject as well as being just a bit brighter.  There were some challenges getting the newly designed PCB to fit the technicolor design and there is an additional step to "pot" the LED at the top but the chip itself is already waterproof so it will remain exposed and bare.  This means that they are also EXTREMELY bright. There are a few additional features being finalized on these as well.  Can't give it all away right? They will be slightly more expensive than the V1 Technicolor due to the many improvements but should still be well under the other available vendor solutions.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login :: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

Re: Re: Review of Technicolor Strings
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, »
Thanks for the informative review.  Did you order any of the covers screw-on vs slip-on?

Tom
I ordered some samples, but I'm waiting on them and the rest of my custom order.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, »
Thanks for the great review.

I should be getting my strands of 100 in soon. Based on your testing do you see that power injection for a string of 100 will be nessessary?

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2013, »
Great information, Steve.  I felt as though I was reading something straight out of Consumer Reports!

Just a heads up.  Due to the overwhelming positive response to these, I have been working on a V2 technicolor string.  They are just about finished, although will probably arrive too late for most people to feel comfortable planning, etc.  Although they will not be available in multiple IC types, (will only be ws2811) there will be several improvements.  Most notable is the change to using a waterproof 5050 SMD type LED.  The lower power consumption on these allows for longer runs before you need to inject as well as being just a bit brighter.  There were some challenges getting the newly designed PCB to fit the technicolor design and there is an additional step to "pot" the LED at the top but the chip itself is already waterproof so it will remain exposed and bare.  This means that they are also EXTREMELY bright. There are a few additional features being finalized on these as well.  Can't give it all away right? They will be slightly more expensive than the V1 Technicolor due to the many improvements but should still be well under the other available vendor solutions.

I'm intrigued...
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, »
Thanks for the great review.

I should be getting my strands of 100 in soon. Based on your testing do you see that power injection for a string of 100 will be nessessary?
I need to look up the data on the SSC constraints, but I suspect that the 5.5 amp draw for a single 100-count string is too large and power injection will be needed.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, »
I need to look up the data on the SSC constraints, but I suspect that the 5.5 amp draw for a single 100-count string is too large and power injection will be needed.

If a single 100pixel strand is 5.5A then yes that will require injection. Max for SSC is rated at 4A. Not good news....

I'll be using a 4 Port Passive Hub to control mine, will power injection with this even be an option for me?

Offline Steve Gase

Re: Re: Re: Review of Technicolor Strings
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, »

If a single 100pixel strand is 5.5A then yes that will require injection. Max for SSC is rated at 4A. Not good news....

I'll be using a 4 Port Passive Hub to control mine, will power injection with this even be an option for me?
the SSC limitations are in part due to the capacity of the cat5 cabling used to the SSC.  If you inject power from the other end (the output end) of the string, the you should be OK.

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, »
You can inject power from the end of a 100 count string as well.  There is a plug and play injection solution coming along with the V2 technicolors.  There's also a new dual voltage strip with the banding integrated and a totally new bullet node in the works as well.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login :: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, »
Cool. (Sorry for derailing this thread)

I have a lot of 18/2 wire that it sounds like I could use. Just straight from the power supply to the output end only using 2 of the pins? (12v+ & Ground)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, by txag2008 »

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, »

I have a lot of 18/2 wire that it sounds like I could use. Just straight from the power supply to the output end only using 2 of the pins (12v+ & Ground)

That would be an un-fused connection and could be problematic.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, »

I have a lot of 18/2 wire that it sounds like I could use. Just straight from the power supply to the output end only using 2 of the pins (12v+ & Ground)

That would be an un-fused connection and could be problematic.
I'm told that only 12V+ needs to be brought to the output end...  And adding a fuse is definitely a good idea!

I wonder about the amount of current flowing over the single ground wire in this case, however... :-

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, »
If the limiting factor for 4A is the size of the conductors within cat5, could you just not get your power from the SSC and run your 12V+ & ground straight from the power supply?  I tried drawing up this idea.

Offline zach stoltenberg

• technicolor christmas
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2013, »
You can, absolutely.  However, the issue with drop is the length of the string and the number of pixels.  After about 75-80 pixels there isn't sufficient power left to properly operate the IC.  In order to run 100 straight pixels, you will have to inject additional power.  This won't be as big of an issue with the V2 strings.