Author Topic: Review of Technicolor Strings  (Read 28036 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: Review of Technicolor Strings
« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
One thing to check out... is the color order the same?
I might find time tomorrow to try this out.

The color order for Technicolor strings is NOT the same.

Old IP66 TM1804 smart pixel string:  RGB

Old IP68 TM1804 smart pixel string:   RGB

New Ray Wu Technicolor TM1804 string:  BGR

New Ray Wu Technicolor WS2811 string:  BGR

Therefore, you should NOT mix Technicolor pixels with non-Technicolor pixels within the same string.  The SSC (and Zeus) can be changed to support one color order, or another... but there is no way to have the color order set in a way that the pixels are consistent -- they simply are not consistent.

Note: this applies not only to patching a string with a pixel, but also appending strings, end-to-end.  Use identical color order with each SSC/Zeus.

This info was originally included in the review... nothing has changed, only a reverification.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline md4today

« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2013, »
I read that LSP and other sequencers can change the color order of each node. Is there any reason why I could not connect different types of lights (Technicolor, rgb TM1809 squares) together and have sequence software switch the order of one type or the other?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2013, »
Software mapping ought to work for you.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2013, »
One thing to check out... is the color order the same?
I might find time tomorrow to try this out.

The color order for Technicolor strings is NOT the same.

Old IP66 TM1804 smart pixel string:  RGB

Old IP68 TM1804 smart pixel string:   RGB

New Ray Wu Technicolor TM1804 string:  BGR

New Ray Wu Technicolor WS2811 string:  BGR

Therefore, you should NOT mix Technicolor pixels with non-Technicolor pixels within the same string.  The SSC (and Zeus) can be changed to support one color order, or another... but there is no way to have the color order set in a way that the pixels are consistent -- they simply are not consistent.

Note: this applies not only to patching a string with a pixel, but also appending strings, end-to-end.  Use identical color order with each SSC/Zeus.

This info was originally included in the review... nothing has changed, only a reverification.

So you can't use Technicolor strings with RJ DLA strings on the same string line. I got that.
But you can't not mix Zeus board with different string types?
And I think your says you can't mix different lines using SSC ether system?
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2013, »
each string on the zeus should be separately controlled, and can be different string types.
each SSC also has its own configuration, so each SSC can have a different string type.

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2013, »
OK. So the RGB color order can be change or controlled to work?

Offline dcwehw99

• Beta Tester
« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2013, »
Steve's correct.  Each string on the Zeus is separately configurable, including the RGB color order because there is a separate PIC for each string.  During beta testing of the Zeus I tested 5 different string types simultaneously; worked perfectly.

Denny

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #127 on: November 13, 2013, »
Referring back to the very first post of this thread

Using a 50-count WS2811 string, and the SSCv3 in test mode, I observed 2.76 amps during a "full white"

How exactly are you measuring your string's amp draw?  What meter are you using?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #128 on: November 13, 2013, »
Referring back to the very first post of this thread

Using a 50-count WS2811 string, and the SSCv3 in test mode, I observed 2.76 amps during a "full white"

How exactly are you measuring your string's amp draw?  What meter are you using?

I used a test bench power supply to power up the SSCv3.  I waited for the full white and read the meter at that time.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #129 on: November 13, 2013, »
Where are you taking your readings?  Are you putting your meter leads on the pins of the connectors?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #130 on: November 13, 2013, »
the power supply provides a selectable voltage output and displays the voltage and current being used.
I connect 12v+ and ground to the output of the power supply to the power inputs of the SSCv3.  I leave the pixelnet+ and pixelnet- unconnected, and let the SSCv3 test program do its magic.

Offline arw01

« Reply #131 on: November 13, 2013, »
pic of ps and model please.. might be handy vs making a dummy cable up for my multi-meter to be in the middle, and I know I will touch a wire to the wrong place eventually!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #132 on: November 13, 2013, »
pic of ps and model please.. might be handy vs making a dummy cable up for my multi-meter to be in the middle, and I know I will touch a wire to the wrong place eventually!

When you touch the wrong place, be sure to have your video camera going so we can see the smoke effects.  LOL.  Seriously, I do not understand all this focus on power.  With LEDs low power draw and the low price of power supplies I just do not spend any time thinking about this stuff.  Too many other things to do.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #133 on: November 13, 2013, »
For me I'm using battery power. So current is very important. Less current more lights. ;D

For others that are doing there whole house in smart strings. Using technicolor strings will double your electricity bill.
It all depends on how many strings your using and how long your running your lights.

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #134 on: November 13, 2013, »
I haven't looked up my model yet, but here is a bunch to select from: