Author Topic: Review of Technicolor Strings  (Read 28045 times)

Offline bassmants

Re: Review of Technicolor Strings
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2013, »
The pic with the wires with the arrows.  I found the side of the node with the arrow to be ground, middle data, opposite side of the arrow on the pixel to be 12v.

Offline prof

« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2013, »
The second picture in the wiki is of the output connector, so for the input side the wiring would be the opposite. Could this be a source of confusion.

Also if you compare the first picture in the wiki with the picture on Rays site, the picture in the wiki shows the +12V GND wiring mirrored on the connectors (as it should be) but the picture on Rays site does not have the wiring mirrored - so it is wrong.

I am still none the wiser as to the correct wiring for these.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2013, »
It seems that the confusion is because the info in the wiki contradicts with the info from Ray's site.  In both pictures the input end of the string (male) shows to have data as the pin directly underneath the 'notch' in the connector.  The wiki shows Ground to be on the right and 12v+ on the left, Ray's picture has ground/12v+ as opposite.

From Steve/Wiki

From Ray's Technicolor page  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline bassmants

« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2013, »
No, I understood that confusion.  It was this picture.  I found the 12v and ground to be opposite of this picture.

Offline arw01

« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2013, »
what strings are those?  I haven't even seen them on Ray's site.

Offline CW

« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2013, »
No, I understood that confusion.  It was this picture.  I found the 12v and ground to be opposite of this picture.
I concur, the picture with the yellow arrow is wrong.  The arrow being the arrow molded on the Technicolor pixel is adjacent to the ground wire. Far side wire from the molded arrow is the 12V side.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2013, »
I concur, the picture with the yellow arrow is wrong.  The arrow being the arrow molded on the Technicolor pixel is adjacent to the ground wire. Far side wire from the molded arrow is the 12V side.
I will fix that picture -- I did not cut apart a working string to test the wiring.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2013, »
Compare these two pictures:

BOTH pictures show the wiring of the output (female) connector with the ground to the left.  This was the source of my confusion.  It is misleading to assume "left" side -- only the order going into (or out of) the LED fixture is important.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline CW

« Reply #158 on: November 19, 2013, »
I will fix that picture -- I did not cut apart a working string to test the wiring.

Steve, can you look at the photo and see if the molded arrow is under the yellow arrow?

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2013, »

Steve, can you look at the photo and see if the molded arrow is under the yellow arrow?
Yes, the molded arrow is directly under the yellow arrow, pointing in the same direction, and on the same side of the pixel.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2013, »
Got my sidewalk Technicolors up and running.  Thanks for all the help from this thread.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2013, »
Great job!!!  Thanks for sharing.  Definitely want to do them someday but haven't figured out the best way to go about it.  Willing to share any tips?   >.d9 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline dduck

« Reply #162 on: December 06, 2013, »
That's cool!   Good job.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #163 on: December 06, 2013, »
Willing to share any tips?

In the video I'm using just a 4port hub, using 1 SSC v4 for each strand.  I am power injecting each strand using the following method I drew up. 
I mounted each of the sidewalk nodes on PVC which you can see in another thread that I started You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I have another strand of lights that will be on my roofline but can't get them up right now because of the ice. 

The Technicolors look and work great SO FAR......I haven't had the issues that others have had with them, but I'm not holding my breath.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #164 on: December 06, 2013, »
I love your drawing. It shows how power injection works quite simply.