Author Topic: Review of Technicolor Strings  (Read 28028 times)

Offline scharbon

Re: Review of Technicolor Strings
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2013, »
The pictures really help.  I hope they get posted to the wiki because I have been wondering myself how this is done.  I do have a couple questions though.

On picture 1, if I use the same power supply to inject power on both ends, why don't I need to split the 12V+ wire.  Isn't the electricity flowing in the "wrong" direction?

On picture two, shouldn't the ground be cut also?

Steve

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The only thing I didn't draw was the ground wire on the injection points since I'm still not sure if it is needed.

Yes! You should use the ground at any power injection point. Without it you will exceed the 4 amps on the ground line and have issues with the cat 5 cable, connector, and socket. The ground must stay continuous the entire length of the string.

I plan on using the same power supply for all my pixels and injection power.

Yes! Introducing a different power supply can cause severe issues, using 1 power supply greatly reduces this.

If you must use a different power supply please use a separate hub, smart string controller,and smart string.

with option #1 you still need to break the 12v+ connection midway between supplies... If you use different supplies, that is.

Right, that is why I specified that I plan on using the same supply.

Any time you inject power, you must establish what you are injecting power for. Option #2 is best. If using option #1 cut the 12V half way.

With all of the issues of power injection, and effort put into designing around the issues, I wonder if it is worth the effort and risk. My thinking is that, when you hit the 4 Amp limit, start a new smart string. Power injection should only be used as a last resort, or if a different voltage must be used.
Have Fun!

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2013, »

This has to do with the data transfer from pixel to pixel. Should there be a voltage difference on the ground line, the data transfer may be lost at the injection point. And should the difference be just wrong enough, pixel damage.
Have Fun!

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2013, »
The only thing I didn't draw was the ground wire on the injection points since I'm still not sure if it is needed.

Yes! You should use the ground at any power injection point. Without it you will exceed the 4 amps on the ground line and have issues with the cat 5 cable, connector, and socket. The ground must stay continuous the entire length of the string.

That seems contradictory.  You say to connect to ground at any power injection point but also say that the ground must stay continuous the entire length.

Any time you inject power, you must establish what you are injecting power for. Option #2 is best. If using option #1 cut the 12V half way.

With all of the issues of power injection, and effort put into designing around the issues, I wonder if it is worth the effort and risk. My thinking is that, when you hit the 4 Amp limit, start a new smart string. Power injection should only be used as a last resort, or if a different voltage must be used.

I have 3 100pixel strings that I plan on using with a 4port passive hub.  I'm not able to split up the strings since I'm limited on how may SSCs I can control this year.  Is power injection ideal? No, but necessary with what I have.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2013, »
That seems contradictory.  You say to connect to ground at any power injection point but also say that the ground must stay continuous the entire length.

This is a splice, The strings ground line is not cut, the injected ground is tied to it.

I have 3 100pixel strings that I plan on using with a 4port passive hub.  I'm not able to split up the strings since I'm limited on how may SSCs I can control this year.  Is power injection ideal? No, but necessary with what I have.

Not saying don't do it.

Nice pictures!
Have Fun!

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2013, »
Taking that into account, it would seem that these drawings should be better representative.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, by txag2008 »

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2013, »
Ok this is where there is lots of confusion. If you want to run lights that pull more than 4 amps the issue is two fold.

#1 - the cat5 feeding the ssc is not heavy enough to be pulling more than 4 amps so you need a way to get power to the string with heavier cable. So you can not feed it with cat 5. This is striaght forward.

#2 - But you need to understand that even if the cat5 could handle the current you still will run into the issue of the voltage dropping too low if you go too long. The wire on the string has resistance and is causing the voltage to drop, how much?  Well this depends on the size and length of the cabling, this is the part that sets the resistance we are fighting. then you also need to know how much current we are going to pull.

Think of it this way. the same string pulling 4 amps will not have as much voltage drop and be fine. Then you up the amperage and with nothing else changed the drop is much higher. double the current you are drawing on the same string the voltage drop will double no matter how big the wire from the power supply is. If you want to over come this you need heavier wire on the strings, or shorter strings.

From the point of view of power, when we inject power we are making shorter strings. If you do need to inject, feed both power and ground other wise you do not get the full benefit. When you figure voltage drop you are looking at the power moving from one side of the circuit to the other so the lenght total of your ground and power together is what matters. so leaving the ground off only shortens the power run. But does it?????  If we run a wire all the way to the other end of the string we have a wire equal in lenght to the string. So in the end it is simply that we ran a larger wire that is makeing the difference. or if you use the same size wire the drop in solder connections alone helps.   

( I am still trying to figure out why we need brighter nodes on the strings. I have to set mine lower in software to keep from lighting up the yard and washing everything else out. Better nodes yes / higher current brighter ones not for me. I like not having to fool around with all this power injection. one cable works great for me!) Besides when you see what I am working on it solves this issue anyway.

RJ

Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2013, »
Taking that into account, it would seem that these drawings should be better representative.

That's the way I would do it. Thanks. Sure the picture will help many others.
Have Fun!

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2013, »
I agree with rj, brighter no thanks mine are plenty bright and they light up everything around them.  Better construction sure but I've got around that with my PVC mounting.  One cable and not having to inject power is why I love rj's setup, I couldn't imagine having to line my roof having to inject power every 50 nodes or so, what a pain.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2013, »
Besides when you see what I am working on it solves this issue anyway.

RJ

I hate it when you do that!!!  <res.   <pop..

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2013, »
+1
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2013, »
What I like is the design of the Technicolor node. It seems more waterproof than the design we currently use. The brightness was already bright enough for me.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2013, »
The pictures really help.  I hope they get posted to the wiki because I have been wondering myself how this is done.  I do have a couple questions though.

On picture 1, if I use the same power supply to inject power on both ends, why don't I need to split the 12V+ wire.  Isn't the electricity flowing in the "wrong" direction?

No, the entire wire is +12V (minus the voltage drop) so it really doesn't matter where or which end of the line the power is coming from.  As long as the current is flowing thru the nodes in the correct direction, it doesn't matter which way it flows in the feed lines.

Steve

Ground is common so there is no need to cut that one, even if using multiple supplies.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2013, »
Ground is common so there is no need to cut that one, even if using multiple supplies.
Correct

It seems that the only confusion remaining is regards to cutting the 12v+ conductor.  It's my understanding that cutting the 12v+ conductor is only needed when you ARE NOT using the the same power supply for hub & power injection.  If you are using the same power supply, no conductors need to be cut.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2013, »
[
It seems that the only confusion remaining is regards to cutting the 12v+ conductor.  It's my understanding that cutting the 12v+ conductor is only needed when you ARE NOT using the the same power supply for hub & power injection.  If you are using the same power supply, no conductors need to be cut.

This is also correct.  There is no need to cut the +12V line if using the same power supply BUT you really need to be sure that your injection point(s) are solid because if it fails due to such things as a bad connection or a blown fuse, then the entire load will be dumped on the SSC which could cause the fuse in the hub to fail and as we know, that is not really a field replaceable component on the hub.  Cutting the line where required even when using the same power supply will prevent that from happening so while not necessary, is not necessarily a bad idea.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving