Author Topic: Review of Technicolor Strings  (Read 28041 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Re: Review of Technicolor Strings
« Reply #90 on: October 15, 2013, »
Here's an updated diagram that will hopefully help others on an issue that originally seemed pretty straight forward.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #91 on: October 15, 2013, »
These diagrams look good and should make it easier for people to understand power injection.  Perhaps Rick could add these somewhere in the WIKI.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #92 on: October 15, 2013, »
I wonder if I by passed the SSC with the power and injected a little more volts to the string at the beginning.
Like 16 volts. Would the string handle that with out burning up? And would that keep the power going to the end?
What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2013, »
I wonder if I by passed the SSC with the power and injected a little more volts to the string at the beginning.
Like 16 volts. Would the string handle that with out burning up? And would that keep the power going to the end?

You're just looking for things to go wrong.  There are specs for a reason.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013, by txag2008 »

Offline sittinguphigh

« Reply #94 on: October 15, 2013, »
Were can I get them?
I know the strings are not set.
There is a variance in volts I was told by RJ.
The question would be how much? 
Maybe 10 volts to 14 volts? Or what?

What you don't know. Can hurt you.

Offline chicken

« Reply #95 on: October 15, 2013, »
If you guys are looking for a fuse block I just ordered some of these and they seem like a pretty nice solution for a decent price.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  Let me know and I can post some pictures.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #96 on: October 16, 2013, »
With all due respect ... the bleeding edge is a painful and expensive place to be.  I think this is all very interesting and obviously do-able with workarounds and proper knowledge, but for most folks that this board was designed for ... my advise would be to stick with the wiki recommended nodes.  I do like the improved form factor and waterproofing.  BUt when we get into this discussion of power injection and voltages it sounds like the other diy christmas boards.  Remember, the KISS principle is your friend in this hobby.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #97 on: October 16, 2013, »
With all due respect ... the bleeding edge is a painful and expensive place to be.  I think this is all very interesting and obviously do-able with workarounds and proper knowledge, but for most folks that this board was designed for ... my advise would be to stick with the wiki recommended nodes.  I do like the improved form factor and waterproofing.  BUt when we get into this discussion of power injection and voltages it sounds like the other diy christmas boards.  Remember, the KISS principle is your friend in this hobby.

+++1
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline johno123

« Reply #98 on: October 16, 2013, »
All I can say is that I appreciate having the ability to tinker and explore the cutting edge.  I think everyone on this board appreciates all the great work that folks do to keep things simple and 'canned' to ensure things work as expected.  However another really powerful part of 'do it yourself' is understanding how it works and knowing how we can expand support for other areas, knowing that it is not supported.  I'm not sure if it would make sense, but it may be good to have a separate area of the forum where we can explore these topics without scaring the KISS folks...

Again, my main interest with these new nodes had to do with better form factors and better waterproofing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #99 on: October 16, 2013, »
  I'm not sure if it would make sense, but it may be good to have a separate area of the forum where we can explore these topics without scaring the KISS folks...

Again, my main interest with these new nodes had to do with better form factors and better waterproofing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sorry that is not going to happen, all general areas are open to all of the members. At one time RJ and most of the other long time members/staff were on diyc (Christmas in Shirley). They had a "privilege" area and it didn't go over well. DLA was design for beginners and will stay that way. Sure we need to improve areas but mostly we try to be like taybrynn said with the KISS principle. At times I think even this thread has gone beyond what it should be.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline keitha43

« Reply #100 on: October 16, 2013, »
My concern assuming Ray's specs are correct, and assuming I understand this correctly, the nodes in the WIKI can't be 128 nodes long now without injection themselves. Given that the 128 node limit was with nodes using 29ma each back then and use 56-60ma now. Am I incorrect in thinking this?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #101 on: October 16, 2013, »
My concern assuming Ray's specs are correct, and assuming I understand this correctly, the nodes in the WIKI can't be 128 nodes long now without injection themselves. Given that the 128 node limit was with nodes using 29ma each back then and use 56-60ma now. Am I incorrect in thinking this?
that is also my conclusion.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #102 on: October 16, 2013, »
I have been following this topic for a while, and still confussnd still trying to understand where it is going . If.  U are worried about injection then maybe its the wrong string for you !!!! Other sites use multiple types of strings an cause serious problems with you. Some Of the people commenting already know this I have had a sample since theywere released iI found the water proofing very good. I don't know about the rest of you but i have little time to worry about power injection than to design,build,program And display it for any holiday we choose. . Some people commenting should not  make decorating any harder for new be as they are at times confuse

And yes I have a sample string

Joe

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #103 on: October 16, 2013, »
Here is where I think it stands... 

(1) if you buy the Technicolor strings, be aware of their different behavior and plan accordingly.
(2) if you buy the original IP68 strings referenced by the DLA wiki, you may have unexpected problems if the power consumption no longer lets the 128 nodes work without injection.  The change in parts may cause you problems if you expect to use more than 85 pixels.  If you mix old IP68 and new IP68 in the same object (ie. a tree) you'll also likely see the differences visually as brighter next to slightly dimmer.

Note: I use "IP68" to refer to the RJ-approved TM1804IC strings from Ray Wu.  These strings were improved with better epoxy and water-proofing to improve on the original IP66 rating.   
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline keitha43

« Reply #104 on: October 16, 2013, »
I agree it is much simpler to just use another SSC every 85 nodes whether the ones in the WIKI or these new design Technicolor nodes. Although the creator is working on an easy injection solution it might be worth looking at when he releases it. And of course RJ still has something up his sleeve that I am dying to find out what it is.