Author Topic: SSC Using Fixed Terminal Block  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Mickpat

• Beta Tester
SSC Using Fixed Terminal Block
« on: October 01, 2012, »
I have been building a few more SSCs and soldering all of the tiny wires is such a pain.  What about using a fixed terminal block to connect the smart string and pig tail?  I know this would add to the cost, but would save time not having to solder all the connectors and would allow for swapping out smart strings easier.  Would the existing spacing used on the SSCs allow for fixed headers?  If not, could this be considered for v4?

Offline JDM1oc

Re: SSC Using Fixed Terminal Block
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, »
I've used these on a few v1 SSCs.  V2 SSCs may use different spacing, I don't know.

For the output You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

For the input You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I found a them at a surplus store, they work well but are too pricey if you had to buy them retail.

Josh

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, »
Terminal blocks were suggested before but turned down do to cost and added size to the pcb. (if memory serves me)

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, »
too easy to become undone and then bare wires short out power and data. Not a good thing. Prefer the more permanat solution of soldering the pigtails in.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline travailen

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, »
I use this to connect my strings to the SSC. the string wires enter the housing by way of an angled upward hole in the side of the tube. the top end cap has a hook instead of a hole. This way I can have spare SSCs and quickly switch out a SSC if there is a problem. The hook allows me to hang them off the ground.

Rick S

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2013, »
Sorry to revive an old topic.

How about adding an rj45 jack instead to eliminate cutting and soldering the pigtail to the board? I understand it will cost more and add size but it will be easier for us less savvy in cutting, splicing and soldering small wires.  Also, the ease of swapping defective ssc / dsc is a plus(not that it will break often )

Offline scharbon

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2013, »
Because then you would have a big hole at the end of the PVC cap where you passed the RJ45 connector through the end cap.  That would make it real difficult to water proof it.  I agree it is a pain the way it is currently done, but once you get it, the water resistance of the controller is pretty good.

steve

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, »
unless the set up is going to be like Rick S

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, »
You have other choices now.  If you are using a V3 SSC you can now have a much longer coax cable maybe 20 or 30 ft.  I use a 4 ft cable for the SSCs on my pixel tree and just run the coax right into the marine battery box holding my passive hub.  Also with Zeus coming out you will not need an SSC, just a long 3 wire cable going from the Zeus to the lights.  Both solutions offer better options for waterproof connections and eliminate the RJ45 pigtail.  YMMV
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline salongaopm

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2013, »
Zeus looks really good. Hopefully, I can get one next year. Is there a similar one for dumb string?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2013, »
Not yet but who knows.  Like anything, it depends on the need and demand.  I'm no sure how much of a demand there is for such a thing.  I guess it would also be nice to eliminate the need for a hub and 16 DSC's but many are just going with smart strings due to the added flexability later on down the road.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, »
The pigtail is my least favorite part of the build for me too but tis life.  I think some guys are using 4 conductor connectors instead of the pigtail. 

The MR16 is the current multi channel dumb string offering.  A pixelnet 48 channel/16 rgb controller (Demeter? ;D) is something I can imagine some guys liking.  I originally planned to do quite a bit of dumb gear thinking it would be simpler and cheaper but found it was quite the opposite for me.  I have since made elements that were planned to be dumb, smart, but have programmed SSC in groups or 3 channel.  I didn't embrace the advanced programming until I was forced to test it for the SSCv4 beta. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."