Author Topic: Aether as standalone?  (Read 3403 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Aether as standalone?
« on: October 02, 2013, »
I've never used Aethers before so I have a few beginners questions.   

--Can an Aether be used as a standalone device?  What I mean by this is does a DMX signal always have to be sent to it?   Could it be set to run as a white light with nothing but power hooked to it?  (I realize you could use a conductor as well, but I'm talking about no computer or conductor)
-Has anyone tried to use an Aether for year round use? For use as tree up/down lighting?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Aether as standalone?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, »
Yes you can wire a on\off switch to the pin location that says Man. Turns on full white.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, »
I have installed a removable jumper/shunt where it says 'Man' on the PCB.  When I have the jumper on, and without any dmx signal connected, anytime I apply power the LED just flashes white and shuts off.

Does it matter the position of the switches?  Does the board need to be addressed in a certain way?

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, »
Someting is not working correct. The what you are doing should work. I am pretty sure others have said it works. If it flashes white and goes off it sounds like your jumper is not working as this is normal power up. I have had a bad little blue jumper (shunt) before so make sure it is not just that.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2014, »
Hmm...

Thanks for the reply RJ. I'm seeing the same thing on both my Aether 2s. I tested continuity on the backside of my jumpers and both were good.

Anyone with experience running these as standalone have any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline knguyen916

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, »
I guess the first question to ask is does the Aether 2 operate correctly with the DMX. I'm only asking because if your manual shunt is not working maybe there is more to the issue than just manual control. It is odd it would turn on white and shut off. Is there any power going to the LED after it shuts off?

As for your question. I have not had any issues with manual control (i own 5 aethers all with the manual control hooked up to a switch and works fine) to tell you what the problem may be.

Hmm...

Thanks for the reply RJ. I'm seeing the same thing on both my Aether 2s. I tested continuity on the backside of my jumpers and both were good.

Anyone with experience running these as standalone have any thoughts?

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, »
I guess the first question to ask is does the Aether 2 operate correctly with the DMX. I'm only asking because if your manual shunt is not working maybe there is more to the issue than just manual control.

I was afraid someone would ask this as I knew I wouldn't be able to properly answer.  Right now I have an EthD flashed for pixelnet and the only hardware I have is a 4port hub for some SSCs.  I don't have a Pickit3 programmer to be able to swap back and forth between DMX/pixelnet for the EthD.  I'll be getting an active hub when the coop comes out so I'll be able to have DMX output.

What is the best way to tell if there is power to the LED?  Which of the 8 conductors carries power to the LED? 

Offline caretaker

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, »
I guess the first question to ask is does the Aether 2 operate correctly with the DMX. I'm only asking because if your manual shunt is not working maybe there is more to the issue than just manual control.

I was afraid someone would ask this as I knew I wouldn't be able to properly answer.  Right now I have an EthD flashed for pixelnet and the only hardware I have is a 4port hub for some SSCs.  I don't have a Pickit3 programmer to be able to swap back and forth between DMX/pixelnet for the EthD.  I'll be getting an active hub when the coop comes out so I'll be able to have DMX output.

What is the best way to tell if there is power to the LED?  Which of the 8 conductors carries power to the LED?
Since from what you are saying you never have tested the Aether with DMX you may need to reprogram the PIC. But until you can test the DMX funtcion of the Aether you might be stuck. RJ would have to chime in here as I am not sure if the "Manual" jumper bypasses the PIC or how it is connected to the circuit.
Jeff Squires

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, »
If the light flash on power up then power should not be the problem. The pic must be properly programmed with firmware for the manual feature to work. The jumper tells the pic you want it to be white and it turns the led on.

RJ

Offline shaunkad

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, »
Correct me if I am wrong but do the blue jumpers have a resistance in them. When I did mine I added a switch not a blue terminator/jumper

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, »
No they just short the pins.

RJ

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, »
Happy to report that both Aethers are working properly now using the manual jumper.

I finally got a decent low volt landscape transformer and as soon as I hooked it to the Aethers they worked and the LEDs stayed on full white. (I had been using a crappy 12v transformer that was rated for 50w. Since the Aethers draw ~35 I thought it'd be fine just for testing....I guess I thought wrong)

Thanks for the helpful posts (sorry to waste your time knowing that I can blame it on the power supply now)

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2014, »
Ok that makes sense and I am glad you got it working. Some manufactors // well not sure of any nicer way to say this // Over estimate the capacacity for their stuff.  A good example is the really cheap ATX power supplys you have to make sure you watch as some do the same thing.

So when you powered up as soon as the led came on the voltage sagged too low and the unit shutdown.

RJ