Author Topic: New release????  (Read 3777 times)

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
New release????
« on: October 06, 2013, »
I keep reading that there will be a new release of LSP on Oct 1.  It is now Oct 6 and I still see nothing about it.  Anyone have some updated info?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

dandyman

Re: New release????
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, »
Hi, Jim...

2.8 has been released... You can find the info on the LSP website  :-)

Dan

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2013, »
Thanks for the info.  I have been running the minleon check for update and it still does not show anything even today.  I also have never received an email or anything from minleon about a new release even though I am a registered owner of 2.5.  Strange marketing.

The update must not work because 2.8 requires a new license, ie. and upgrade rather than an update.  I have 2.5 advanced, but only played with it.  I will have think about spending the upgrade money, but  since I do not know if I would use it or not at this point I think I will hold off for now.  I will be using a lot of nutcracker effects and everything I read indicates it can be a pain to use them with LSP.  Also not sure if I have time to convert all my existing sequences which is why I never converted to 2.5, I was having to much trouble getting them to work.  I have seen better techniques for importing now, but not sure if I want to go thru the process at this stage of the season.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, »
I am on the fence but will probably cave if I hear good things.  I am a little disappointed the scheduler got all the attention.  I really want/need to learn about importing nutcracker into LSP and think some really exciting things could happen once I figure it how. 

For some odd reason I just realized that my Zeus order is effectively 3x the amount of channels than my current show and the total channel count takes me over 32k channels and into the LSP Ultimate License and the price is "contact us".  :o  Staying just under 8k this year but it was not easy. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, »
Group 2 pixels and cut your channel count in half.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
New release????
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, »

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am on the fence but will probably cave if I hear good things.  I am a little disappointed the scheduler got all the attention.  I really want/need to learn about importing nutcracker into LSP and think some really exciting things could happen once I figure it how. 

For some odd reason I just realized that my Zeus order is effectively 3x the amount of channels than my current show and the total channel count takes me over 32k channels and into the LSP Ultimate License and the price is "contact us".  :o  Staying just under 8k this year but it was not easy.

I was disappointed too,  luckily I was I the two year upgrade so I got it but still kind of bummed.  I understand the scheduler is important but it wouldn't exist without sequences created in the creator :)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, »
The update must not work because 2.8 requires a new license, ie. and upgrade rather than an update.

That is very disappointing news.

Normally, you don't pay for minor updates, so moving from 2.5 to 2.8 would not cost money.  Usually, money is spent when moving to a new major version... 2.5 to 3.0.

Maybe there were not enough changes to justify calling it a major release... especially if they were bug fixes to address outstanding problems.

As feared, this must be an opportunity for Minleon to capture some income from their investment into this product.

:(
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, by Steve Gase »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, »
Can I ask some you software guys a question?  I have 2.5 advanced and would consider upgrading to 2.8 pro if it was the better buy now than upgrading advanced 2.8 now and then later upgrading to pro.  Am I off? 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, »
The update must not work because 2.8 requires a new license, ie. and upgrade rather than an update.

That is very disappointing news.

Normally, you don't pay for minor updates, so moving from 2.5 to 2.8 would not cost money.  Usually, money is spent when moving to a new major version... 2.5 to 3.0.

Maybe there were not enough changes to justify calling it a major release... especially if they were bug fixes to address outstanding problems.

As feared, this must be an opportunity for Minleon to capture some income from their investment into this product.

:(
The scheduler was rebuilt from the ground up to handle the thousands of channels that RGB adds to lightshows. As that was the part of the software that was causing most people problems. It has a much more efficient playback engine than the sequencer now. There wasn't enough time to completely rebuild the sequencer this year so they are concentrating on fixing issues like copy/paste and program crashes and other bugs in v2.5. They will continue working on any bugs people report until the season is over and then they will work on completely rebuilding the sequencer. For 49.00 to upgrade I think it was worth it based on all the positive reports I was seeing from the beta test members.

Offline urthegman

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, »
You also get two years of updates with the upgrade.

Offline tstewart

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, »
When you buy an upgrade you do not get another two years of updates.  The two years of updates is only for new licenses.  I went through this over the weekend with them.  I told them they need to update their website to better reflect this.

Todd

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, »
Great info.  Just one for upgrades or something else?  <pop..

It would be sweet if they again offered a deal during the season...  Not sure I would have tried LSP without that incentive. 

Offline caretaker

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, »
One thing I can report about the sequencer is that cut and paste is fixed (at least what I have read so far) when you go to paste something it goes right where you want it.  I most likely will upgrade but I am not happy to hear that there releasing the sequencer in "beta" and hopefully will not be charging again for updates. There have been some other minor fixes to the sequencer:
(from the LSP website)
The following major sequencer enhancements, changes, and corrections will be part of the planned V2.8 sequencer ‘beta’ release:
 1. Child Matrix functionality – allowing to more easily create a Matrix within a Matrix
 2. New Macros –
 a. light wands
 b. line art
 3. Existing Macros enhanced –
 a. More color palette selections throughout
 b. Block dropper – addition of triangles and crosses, and more directional
 c. Marquee – significantly improved throughout
 d. 2-dimensional mega tree - enhanced
 4. User xml files now stored in my documents folder ‘My Lightshow Imports’
 5. Log and backup files have option to auto delete according to user settings in the configuration
 6. Timing color defaults to non-shared timing marks (red)
 7. Automatic file maintenance. Set this to enable auto deletes of log and backup files
 a. Days to keep old log files
 b. Days to keep backup files
 8. Voice over files moved outside of normal install. If you want to use them you will be asked if you want to download them at the end of the install procedure
Jeff Squires

Offline johno123

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, »
I just installed the update this AM before work and am going to give it a shot when I get home.  I'm happy to see that they fixed some of the copy/paste issues (that were driving me crazy before)

dandyman

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2013, »
You need a new license code for 2.8, but if you are within your free upgrade period, there is no fee... You just have to send an email to request the new code and wait an hour or so... Pretty painless :-)

Also, 2.8 and 2.5 can reside on the same machine... No need to uninstall 2.5...