Author Topic: PS and plugs  (Read 3794 times)

Offline joshuashu

PS and plugs
« on: October 08, 2013, »
curious what power supply do i need for the zeus, also a good place to buy connectors? are they 3 or 4 core? alspo the best pixels to buy? want something that close to C9's

Offline combustionmark

Re: PS and plugs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, »
There are 2 different zeus controllers. The zeus 16 uses a pc power supply like the active hub, While the zeus 8 has 12 Volt input. You can still power the zeus 8 with a pc power supply, By jumping the green wire to a black wire on the big connector.

The zeus controllers are like 8 or 16 smart string controllers on 1 board, they have terminals like the express and will have 3 screws for each string.
Have Fun!

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, »
Any one have a link for a good power supply for these?

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, »
It depends on how many strings and how many nodes you want to run ... look for a single rail 12v ATX power supply which can handle your max estimated power
power need without exceeding 80% of the advertised max amps for the PS.  I always look for a PS with an 80 plus rating (more efficient).  Rosewill is a good value brand, here is a link to a 50A supply that priced around $1 per AMP (AR).  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login[/url]
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, »
Thanks,

what is everyone using for enclosures for the power supplies?

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, »
most of us are using the $8 boat battery box at Walmart

Offline arw01

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, »
I picked up a couple of these, way over the walmart boat battery, but more flexible for me.

Offline tindivall

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, »
Just curious if something like this would be ok:

Offline bisquit476

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, »
Hi Scott,

Is this the one you are trying to link to? I can't seem to get your link to work, Thanks,

Bill

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, »
Just curious if something like this would be ok:

It doesn't state in Amazon wheather it's a single 12v+ rail or how many 12v+ amps it supplies. These are the company specs on that unit:

and if you look it has dual rail one providing 23a and the other 20a, not a good choice because of the 2 rails.  You always have to check the 12v+ output as I learned the hard way when I purchased a single rail 585watt power supply from Newegg and then realized it only produceed 15 amps on it 12v rail, I still don't knoe how they came up with the 585 watt power output.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, »
The processor doesn't use the 12V rail and some of the supplies push more output to the 3 and 5 V rails for overclocked multi-procssor units.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tindivall

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, »

It doesn't state in Amazon wheather it's a single 12v+ rail or how many 12v+ amps it supplies. These are the company specs on that unit:

and if you look it has dual rail one providing 23a and the other 20a, not a good choice because of the 2 rails.  You always have to check the 12v+ output as I learned the hard way when I purchased a single rail 585watt power supply from Newegg and then realized it only produceed 15 amps on it 12v rail, I still don't knoe how they came up with the 585 watt power output.

Thanks for that... I found the one Scott was linking to on Newegg.. however it is on Amazon $10 cheaper and with Prime can get in 2 days:

Offline tindivall

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2013, »
Does anyone have an example of how they have their board set up in the battery box with the power supply?   curious about venting of the power supply?

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2013, »
I recommend spending a few more dollars and getting the 27 series battery box. it will give you a little more room. the 24 works great for the active hub but the zues is a little bigger. I just silicone the vent holes on the battery box inside and out. no need for venting because your not sealing it air tight. the lid will have a gap all the way around to give you plenty of venting.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tindivall

« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2013, »
Thank you Duane