Author Topic: PICkit 3 Program Device Family Problem  (Read 2145 times)

Offline LasVegasF250

PICkit 3 Program Device Family Problem
« on: October 09, 2013, »
I built 2 new LE v5 today and now I'm trying to program them using a PICkit 3 and the program utility. The problem I'm having is that the "Device Family" option is grayed out and the available chips does not included the PIC24FJ32GA002. I know I'm missing something simple <fp. but can't seem to find it.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, by LasVegasF250 »

sjb

Re: PICkit 3 Program Device Family Problem
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, »
Have you used the PICkit3 program and downloaded all of the updates prior to using the stand alone version?

Steve

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, »
First step would be to make sure that the Pickit3 is conncted to the header correctly and not backwards.  The next step would be to fire up MPLab and let it update the Pickit3 with the programmer firmware.  Once the device is updated with the proper firmware, then it should work fine with the standalone PIC programmer software.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, »
It looks like you are using the PICkit 2 programming utility with a PICkit 3. 

You need to use  the PICkit 3 programming app which be found in the Wiki on this page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline LasVegasF250

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Have you used the PICkit3 program and downloaded all of the updates prior to using the stand alone version?

Steve

Yes. I used it to program 2 other LE last Year.

First step would be to make sure that the Pickit3 is conncted to the header correctly and not backwards.  The next step would be to fire up MPLab and let it update the Pickit3 with the programmer firmware.  Once the device is updated with the proper firmware, then it should work fine with the standalone PIC programmer software.

Yes correctly install cable to header. I open MPLab and connect to the Pickit3 but not sure if it did any updating.

It looks like you are using the PICkit 2 programming utility with a PICkit 3. 

You need to use  the PICkit 3 programming app which be found in the Wiki on this page: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This did the trick! All is programmed. Did not know about the New Pickit3 program.

Thank you to all for the assistances.

Offline pk

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, »
Glad it is working for you!