Author Topic: lsp drag  (Read 3234 times)

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
lsp drag
« on: October 13, 2013, »
Is anyone else having a problem with lsp dragging your PC down? I gotta say, its really slowing mine down. I've done an uninstall and reinstall and it still freezes up. I've asked the question on the lsp site and haven't been given a fix
I7 3820 3.6GHZ
 16Gb ram
 SSD hard drive
I'm only using 4000 channels
lsp  2. 8
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline MrChristmas2000

Re: lsp drag
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, »
Are you talking about the Scheduler being a load or the Sequencer?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, »
Nope. You say "only 4000 channels" like that is not very many. 4000 is quite a few  :). According to their first training video on the scheduler they recommend using the rewritten scheduler to play back the show if you are wanting to live test your sequence. Unless you are just wanting to watch the animated window. The scheduler's playback engine has been improved this year and is better than the sequencers playback engine.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, »
Sequencer. It gets non responsive. I do the dmx first just because of this. Then do the ss. The dmx does the same thing as well.

Offline MrChristmas2000

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, »
Is all of your output on a E1.31 interface or do  you also run a USB DMX dongle as well.

The Sequencer has never been a good playback engine.

As has previously been noted the scheduler is a much better test vehicle for sequences than the Sequencer/Editor.

There was even a demonstration during the Scheduler introduction forum of which was recorded and posted in the videos section of the LSP forum.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, »
I use pixelnet. The scheduler works good. Its the sequencer that makes it difficult. I am just wondering if anyone else has this same issue? I mentioned this during the beta testing as I was benching it then. I may be just expecting too much.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, by sirloinofbeef001 »

Offline thestig

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, »
I have issues with the new scheduler as well. It just doesn't seem very smooth. I run random things in nutcracker and the display looks absolutely flawless. Then I run the scheduler with a transition and it just jitters during a chase across the house. I am not sure what the deal is. I am still working on halloween stuff and am about to just skip LSP for now. I am thinking about sequencing all of my flex strips around the house with nutcracker  and then pasting in my singing faces that I have in lor s2. I gave up with trying to live view the sequence in LSP. My computer is no slouch but LSP is in not responding mode constantly as I build transitions for about 3000 channels. I assumed LSP could handle this sort of thing and that was my reasoning for spending that kind of money on the software. So far I am not impressed.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, »
Transitions do take more horsepower than doing it "old school" that is why I don't see the problem. If you watch the training video of the scheduler on their site there are advanced setting in setting up outputs in the scheduler that possibly could help your output. It could be that LSP is outputting commands faster than the hardware can see it for example.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, »
Here was something suggested on their forum-In your Scheduler output configuration, please select the protocol-zone with the issue and expand the Additional Configuration expander at the bottom. Ensure that the Async and Periodic option is selected. Set the async interval to 30 ms and the periodic interval to 50 ms. Save the changes and then run the playback again to see if there is any difference. This will limit the rate that commands are sent to the controller; it is possible the commands are being sent faster than the controller can handle.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2013, »
It happens while I am doing the sequence, not during playback. I have it set just as you stated. I have learned to play mine sweep while programming.   

Offline keitha43

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, »
Not that it helps this season but I know after Christmas the sequencer is going to rebuilt from the ground up just like the scheduler was this year. The scheduler from v2.5 was the main problem for most people last year so they concentrated on that. There have been many bug fixes for the sequencer and they will continue fixing those this season but it will still have the old playback engine until the rewrite. Being an old stubborn guy I haven't bothered learning transitions yet and continue doing it the old fashioned slooowwww way.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, »
I don't care what anyone says I think the video codecs cause all the malarky.  Also, not sure why but there is no advice from LSP on codecs.  One time I spent a day sifting through the forum and tried some things and things ran alot better.  There should be an codec recommendation page or something. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I don't care what anyone says I think the video codecs cause all the malarky.  Also, not sure why but there is no advice from LSP on codecs.  One time I spent a day sifting through the forum and tried some things and things ran alot better.  There should be an codec recommendation page or something.
[/quotei    I agree. I was on the beta team for this new release. I do understand there is problems that need to be addressed but my question is still the same, does this happen to others? I think it is with the codecs. Does vixen hang up like this?

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2013, »
X2 on what zwiller said. Try un-installing LSP, then un-install the codecs, then re-boot. Then install LSP and select the default codecs, re-boot and then run LSP. I had a heck of a time with the codecs when I first upgraded to LSP 2.5, after I did the un-install of ALL the codecs, it speeded everything up.

I have a similar spec'ed machine to sirloinofbeef001 and mine is now running fine with the latest update.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
X2 on what zwiller said. Try un-installing LSP, then un-install the codecs, then re-boot. Then install LSP and select the default codecs, re-boot and then run LSP. I had a heck of a time with the codecs when I first upgraded to LSP 2.5, after I did the un-install of ALL the codecs, it speeded everything up.

I have a similar spec'ed machine to sirloinofbeef001 and mine is now running fine with the latest update.

Too late in season for me to fool with codecs and 2.8 and worried about fooling around with it will only make things worse...  Pretty sure I relied on your info Pete to dial mine in last year.  Thank GOD you ran a Halloween show! ;D  My machine is similar to both of yours minus the SSD.  Hard to believe the 32bit version runs better... 

FWIW there is a post over at LSP that this drag/lag is also appearing in the output of the new scheduler...  No worries for me as I am running the conductor.  During the conductor beta I was watching for lag like a hawk and I am willing to bet RJ and the other betas think of me as "lag boy". 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."