Author Topic: SSC V3 problems (Solved)  (Read 1304 times)

Offline caretaker

SSC V3 problems (Solved)
« on: October 16, 2013, »
I purchased 4 strings of 100 count nodes with V3 modded SSC's which I am going to be using for around the windows of my home. I cut the first string down to 66 nodes, loaded the Smart String Utility and set the start channel then tested with X-Lights and everything was good. Now went to the second string and cut it down to 66 nodes and set the start address and instead of acting like pixels it is behaving like a dumb string IE: there is no individual control of pixels. So I reflashed the PIC  twice and set the starting address and same issue. I checked another string I cut done to 44 pixels and it is doing the same thing. At this point I have:
1. Re-flashed the PIC(s) on both problem strings
2. Checked the soldering on the SSC boards (appears to be OK)
3. Made sure the Nodes were wired correctly
4. Made sure I am using the V3 hex file and set up utility (I have got one working correctly so far...)
I am awaiting some WP connectors (the nodes were directly soldered to the SSC's) So I can try swapping nodes but till they arrive is there anything I should be looking for that would create that behavior?  I do have extra SSC's (V3 modded) which I put together but before I swap those out I would like to get the original ones working. 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, by caretaker »
Jeff Squires
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline drlucas

Re: SSC V3 problems
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, »
Did you buy these from Ray, or from someone here? I might have 4 100count nodes with some strange things happening too....
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline caretaker

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, »
I bought them from another user here. 
Did you buy these from Ray, or from someone here? I might have 4 100count nodes with some strange things happening too....
Jeff Squires

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, »
You have two steps to make them work.  You must flash the firmware and then you must program the chip using the SSC utility.  Sounds like in the programming step you may have selected hybrid or 3 channel string mode.  Just my guess.  when you used the utility did all the lights flash after you hit transmit?
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, »
In hybrid mode the first 3 channels starting with the start channel puts them in "string mode" which is like a "dumb string". Lets say your start channel was 100, then channel 100 would turn the whole string red. 101 would turn the whole string green. And 102 would turn the whole string blue. The rest of the channels would control the individual pixels. 103 would only turn on red of the first pixel ect. Hope that helps.

Offline caretaker

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, »
Flashed all all four SSC's the same (String mode no null nodes) and 1 is working the other three strings are acting like dumb strings.  So much so that even when I try testing in X-Lights and turn on just one channel the whole string lights.  I guess I will have to wait for my pig tails arrive today or tomorrow so I can eliminate the problem whether it is the nodes or the SSC, I am leaning toward the SSC.
Jeff Squires

Offline keitha43

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, »
To eliminate the PIC programming as a cause swap the PIC from the working SSC to the other and see if the problem moves.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, »
Like Jim says, make sure you have the utility's mode set to "individual pixels" on 2nd row.   The "smart string device type" choice on bottom row is just for rgb color order. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline caretaker

Re: SSC V3 problems (Solved)
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, »
OK, so I new it had to be something simple so I got my WP disconnects today and soldered them in place and took the working SSC and tried it on the the other strings. Strings worked correctly, so I am thinking it is the SSC's and not the nodes. So I reset the start address on the working SSC and now it stopped working....   ???   Then I decide to check and yep I was using the right hex files for my strings but the wrong SS utility. Once I changed the exe file to the right one and re-addressed the all my SSC's they all work like a charm!  Now I need to take pictures of my new window frames....
Jeff Squires

Offline keitha43

Re: SSC V3 problems (Solved)
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, »
Great!