Author Topic: Etherdongle problem - No blinky (SOLVED)  (Read 4848 times)

Offline diceman3807

Etherdongle problem - No blinky (SOLVED)
« on: October 17, 2013, »
I built my first etherdongle and have a problem. In checking previous posts, I have checked everything I think but still can't find the issue. I have setup my conductor either directly connected to my laptop, or through a hub. In testing with both Vixen3 and XLights. When I hook up the etherdongle, I get connectivity lights on the MagicJack, and the yellow activity light blinks rapidly when I push a sequence. I get a DMX connectivity light on my LE, but not activity occurs. If I go back to Vixen 2.1 with a USB Dongle, the LE works. I configured Xlights to use E131, universe 1, multicast, last channel 512, and my LE is showing 001 on the display.

I have included pictures here of my board...
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, by diceman3807 »

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Re: Conductor problem - No blinky
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, »
Just for technicality sake, that's an Etherdongle not a Conductor.  Hopefully you've just confused the names.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline diceman3807

Re: Etherdongle problem - No blinky
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, »
Whooops...I was thinking about the next step when I put this together...I corrected the original. Thanks!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, »
Hopefully, you flashed using the etherdongle firmware and not the conductor firmware.  Many problems have been due to cables or how you connect the ETD to the network / PC so that is probably the place to concentrate.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, »
To add to Jim's post. Also make sure that it was the DMX firmware not Pixelnet as an LE will not work with pixelnet.

Offline diceman3807

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, »
Well, I'm going back through my processes, and going to reprogram the chip. I have PICkit 3 program 3.10.00, and downloaded the PK2DeviceFile, and put in in my directory, so the when I hook up the programmer it detects the PIC32MX795F512L, but when I import the DMX hex file, the checksum comes back as 69DE, not the 0000 that the wiki has stated. (when i read the existing file it also say 69DE)

Any ideas?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, »
You should never get a checksum of 0000.  There was a point in time where the Pickit3 was not producing a checksum.  This was probably a programmer software issue and appears to have been corrected.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline diceman3807

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, »
Do you know what the new checksum should be then? The wiki still shows the 0000

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, »
Until smene updates it, that is what it will continue to say.  Have you loaded the firmware into the PIC yet?  What software are you using with the Pickit-3 t load the firmware?

Offline diceman3807

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, »
I am using the PICkit 3 Programmer (not the MPLAB) app version 3.10.00. I have loaded the DMX software a couple of times.

Are you saying that the Checksum that shows up in the programmer should still read 0000 then?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, »
No, what I'm saying is that what you are seeing is prbably what it should be.  Version 1 just returns 0000 probably because the code that actually performs the function probably didn't exist yet in that version. 

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2013, »
Use the pickit software version 1, known problems trying to flash with the version 3
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2013, »
It appears that some f these issues have been resolved.  As Ver 3 continues to be upgraded these issues will continue to disappear.  Ver 1 works but is incomplete and I will start using ver 3 with ver 1 as a fallback until ver 3 is completed.  The primart issue with 3 was that it couldn't see the PIC and was unable to flash it.  It appears that this versin has resolved this, at least as far as the PIC used by the ETD is concerned.  I will have to give it a shot with the SSc and see if it works there as well.

Offline diceman3807

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, »
Thanks guys for all the help. I was searching other threads and one of them mentioned a solder bridge on the Ethernet chip. I did a hard look and I think I might have one between pins  35 and 36. I'm going to attempt to see if I can clean it up. Any tips on how to do this?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2013, »
Some pins actually are supposed to be connected.  Is there an actual problem with the EDT or is all of this based on the checksum value that you are seeing.  Cleaning up bridges on pins this tight requires some skill and the right equipment.  If the EDT is not working then I would PM RJ and give him the pin number that appear to be bridged.  He will let you know if this is a problem and some suggestions on how to resolve it if it is.