Author Topic: Converted file not opening correctly in xlights  (Read 3698 times)

Offline drlucas

I have recently converted a LOR file into a xlights sequence as follows..

Reading: C:\Users\mac7\Downloads\What The Fox Say.lms
Reading LOR sequence
Track 1 length = 21384 centiseconds
# of mapped channels with effects=32
# of effects=1560
Media file=C:\Users\Matt\Desktop\Light O Rama\Halloween 2013\The Fox.mp3
New # of time periods=4276
New data len=35028992
Writing xLights sequence
Finished writing new file: C:\Users\mac7\Documents\Xlights\What The Fox Say.xseq
Finished converting all file

Then, when I go and open this in nutcracker, i'm prompted to select a model (I really have no idea what one's i'd select, so I just pick 3 random ones). I say OK and I get the labels displayed at the top but not a single line created and I was expecting to see 4276 of them!

My goal is to take a sequenced singing element, and then bring into xlights and the rest of my lights sequenced. Is xlights not the best tool to be using to do this, am I importing the file wrong into xlights, or something else?

Thoughts?
Ryan
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: Converted file not opening correctly in xlights
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2013, »
Ryan, the only way any portion of a displayed model will light up is if the DMX channel number in your LOR sequence matches the DMX channel of something in that Preview window.

For example, if all your LOR channels are 512 or less, but your xLights models are all 513 and higher, then nothing will light up.

With 32k of channels to play with in xLights/Nutracker, it is easy to "miss" the display numbers.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, »
OK - i'll go create a model with 32 channels (I'll take a peek at the original file in notepad++ to see if I can figure out the channel numbers) and then try the import and see if things work any differently...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ryan, the only way any portion of a displayed model will light up is if the DMX channel number in your LOR sequence matches the DMX channel of something in that Preview window.

For example, if all your LOR channels are 512 or less, but your xLights models are all 513 and higher, then nothing will light up.

With 32k of channels to play with in xLights/Nutracker, it is easy to "miss" the display numbers.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, »
...i'm still stuck.

I created a new model in nutcracker and called it "eyes" and assigned it a single 3channel rgb element. I don't see though in the .lms file what channel it needs to be to set to?

<channel name="eyes" color="10485760" centiseconds="21384" deviceType="LOR" unit="2" circuit="10" savedIndex="1">

I then tried to create a model called piano, assigned it to a single color item and gave it a channel of 8 and tried again, same issue - no lines get show up at all.

<channel name="piano" color="12615744" centiseconds="21384" savedIndex="8"/>

Things do appear to come into HLS 1/2 decently, but I'm finding right now that xlights is easier for me to work in as I have the most familiarity with it through some basic testing todate (plus - I see a lot of great development on this software and think it can be all things sequencing for my needs)...

-Ryan Lucas-

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, »
If unit = 2, then I assume that is channels 17-32, circuit would be the 10th plug so that would be channel 27 if my math is right.  I have not used LOR in a long time.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline drlucas

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, »
OK...a bit more digging into this and perhaps what I want to do isn't possible with xlights right now.

...I think if the channels match than it will light up, but if they don't then when I run the xseq file from the playlist/schedule nothing will happen. well i'm actually not even trying to get to that part of xlights.

I want to add nutcracker effects/other effects beside the ones that were already created. For example, if I had 8 items to map to my singing tree and knew that those were channels 1-8 in one software, bring them in line by with the on/off value being they key item that creates a new timeline mark. sort of like the audacity marks.

from there, I could put in other effects on different display items. I'm guessing I'll have to use another program like HLS to do that...just need to figure out how to get nutcracker effects and rgb to work in HLS...pixel plane - HUH? i'm sure I"ll watch some videos and it will make sense. Xlights just is so straight forward to do nutcracker and basic troubleshooting/testing that I haven't used much else yet.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline Bendigo

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, »
Just found this thread while looking for an answer to an unrelated issue. But I thought I would stop and say "This is hilarious!" I would like to see a video of whatever you are doing with this song.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, »
I want to add nutcracker effects/other effects beside the ones that were already created. For example, if I had 8 items to map to my singing tree and knew that those were channels 1-8 in one software, bring them in line by with the on/off value being they key item that creates a new timeline mark. sort of like the audacity marks.

from there, I could put in other effects on different display items. I'm guessing I'll have to use another program like HLS to do that...just need to figure out how to get nutcracker effects and rgb to work in HLS...pixel plane - HUH? i'm sure I"ll watch some videos and it will make sense. Xlights just is so straight forward to do nutcracker and basic troubleshooting/testing that I haven't used much else yet.

In other threads it has been stated that you create all your non nutcracker effects in your sequences.  Save the file, then convert to xseq.  Open it in nutcracker and add the effects that you want to the channels that you want.  However, to preserve your prior sequencing you need to fill in the appropriate channels in the nutcracker grid with "None, None"  Then when you save the file, Nutcracker will not overwrite your previously sequence items.  Not necessarily the easiest thing to do for big displays, but it is a solution.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline drlucas

« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, »
I see.......i'll test this out tonight....i'm off to solder up some LEDs and slide them into dollar store skulls :)

thanks!!!
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2013, »
I have recently converted a LOR file into a xlights sequence as follows..

Reading: C:Usersmac7DownloadsWhat The Fox Say.lms
Reading LOR sequence
Track 1 length = 21384 centiseconds
# of mapped channels with effects=32
# of effects=1560
Media file=C:UsersMattDesktopLight O RamaHalloween 2013The Fox.mp3
New # of time periods=4276
New data len=35028992
Writing xLights sequence
Finished writing new file: C:Usersmac7DocumentsXlightsWhat The Fox Say.xseq
Finished converting all file

Then, when I go and open this in nutcracker, i'm prompted to select a model (I really have no idea what one's i'd select, so I just pick 3 random ones). I say OK and I get the labels displayed at the top but not a single line created and I was expecting to see 4276 of them!

My goal is to take a sequenced singing element, and then bring into xlights and the rest of my lights sequenced. Is xlights not the best tool to be using to do this, am I importing the file wrong into xlights, or something else?

Thoughts?
Ryan
Can you post your ehstfoedthefox.lms file someplace?
Ill take a look

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline drlucas

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2013, »
It's attached as a .txt file..
-Ryan Lucas-