Author Topic: SSCv3 utility problem/question(SOLVED)  (Read 3866 times)

Offline bassmants

SSCv3 utility problem/question(SOLVED)
« on: October 22, 2013, »
Just started messing around with these trying to get them to work and here is what happens and what I've tried.  Built and modded several V2's to V3 ssc.  Programmed pic with test hex and it makes the strip change colors/chase etc.  All seemed good at that point.  Then reprogrammed with V3 modded hex.  So now I have been attempting to set a start channel and mess around with them, but can't seem to get them to do anything which is weird.  I thought maybe the etherdongle wasn't communicating, but plugged a LE into the dmx out and it works.  Can someone go down the steps you do to program SSC's and operate so I can see if I am forgetting something?  I also have some V4's, but figured I'd build the older ones first and see how it goes.  I have tried a few with the same results, test works, nothing else. 

« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, by bassmants »

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Re: SSCv3 utility problem/question
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, »
the wiki refers to a new executable that replaces the config utility for the v3 firmware.

Make sure you use the new You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login that is provided to program your modified SSC's. You only have to replace the exe file with one provided no new installed needed.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline bassmants

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, »
Yeah, I saw that and that is what I have.  Must be doing something wrong.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, »
So now I have been attempting to set a start channel and mess around with them, but can't seem to get them to do anything which is weird

Does the string flash when you set the start channel or can you not get past that step at all?
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline keitha43

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, »
The strand must be plugged into a hub like the smart hub (for example). The jumper on the SSC must be closed to program the start channel. Set your options in the utility and then transmit. String should start to flash rapidly white. Stop transmitting. String will continue to flash. Power down your hub. When the lights stop flashing move the jumper back to just a single post. Power your hub back up and test your start channel.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, »
You don't have to power down the hub, just remove power from the SSC.  You could unplug the cable from the hub, unplug the cable from the ethernet pigtail or power down the hub, whichever is most convenient to you.  I've done them all at one time or another.

I'm thinking that you do not have the correct firmware.  Check in the wiki to make sure that you have the latest.  There were several variations that came out when the mods were being done.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline keitha43

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You don't have to power down the hub, just remove power from the SSC.  You could unplug the cable from the hub, unplug the cable from the ethernet pigtail or power down the hub, whichever is most convenient to you.  I've done them all at one time or another.
I play it safe and don't want to risk blowing a fuse as they are a pain to replace. :)

Offline bassmants

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, »
I don't even get the flash?

Offline keitha43

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2013, »
Are you using a smartstring hub? Going straight from a dongle to the SSC won't work as the SSC needs power.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2013, »
Make sure that you are selecting the correct output device.  I believe that it defaults to the USB dongle as the output device and if you are using an ETD, it will not send the required output.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bassmants

« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, »
Yes, active hub and selected ED.  I am able to power the flexstrip and put test firmware on it and it works, just can't seem to communicate with it with modded firmware and utility.  I may build a V4 tonight and see if it works.  This is my first tests of SS stuff.  Looks simple enough on the vids etc.  Just missing something. 

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, »
It looks like you may have a build issue on the input side.  Did these controllers ever work prior to the mod or did you just build it now with the mod?  I would look at the connection between the input connector and the board and make sure that the correct wires are connected to the correct ports.  Another thing to check is that the RS485 is inserted correctly and not backwards or with any bent pins.  If everything looks good, then consider swapping out the RS485 with one from a different unit.  The test firmware does not use the input side of the SSC so it will work just fine regardless of the state of the input components.

Offline bassmants

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, »
I've tried 2 different controllers with the same results.  I will look at both.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2013, »
I would check Pins 1 and 2 on the input to make sure that they are connected with an ohm meter or good continuity tester.  The power appears to be connected correctly or even the test firmware would not work.  If this is ok, then I would put more tine looking around the 485 (smaller chip) for issues.  You could also post some clear closup pics of both the front and back of the SSC so that we can have a look at it as well.  You would be supprised how easy it is to get locked up and just not see an issue no matter how many times you look at it.

Offline bassmants

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2013, »
OK, built a V4 and programmed pic.  Everything checks.  Hookup up, nothing...  Maybe the hub has an issue?  One more weird thing is when I try the utility it reprograms the pic on the SSC sometimes.  Ideas?