Author Topic: SSCv3 utility problem/question(SOLVED)  (Read 3868 times)

Offline tbone321

Re: SSCv3 utility problem/question
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2013, »
Make sure that after you program the SSC, that you remove the jumper.  The hub input should be ok or the DMX side would not work.  I would check the orietation of the 485 chips on the hub.  They control the signal going to the ports on the hub.  What do you mean by sometimes?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline bassmants

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, »
Ok, to be clear, I program the pic, checksums are correct.  I put the program jumper on, hook up to hub, run utility, nothing happens.  No rapid flashing.  Remove jumper.  Go back to the pickit3 to look and the checksum is different. 

Checked the orientation and numbers on all chips on the hub.  They are in correctly and oriented properly.  I have the shunts on all universe 1's like in the manual.  Sorry about this, I am stumped at what could be going on.  I'll see if I can post pics of the hub and an ssc.

Also, ran all cat5 cables through my tester and they all check out OK.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, by bassmants »

Offline CW

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2013, »
Hi Terry,

I can help you out.  I have working equipment and can provide a second look for you.  It sounds to me like something is not on or set right. Send me a email and we can discuss meeting.

Thanks,

Craig

Offline drlucas

« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2013, »
One issue I found and it sounds VERY familiar to my problem is the RJ45 connector that goes into the hub is loose. I wonder if you have the same problem. Connect the RJ45 connector into the hub and see if there is any play in the connector. I ended up having about a 1/8th of an inch vertical wiggle on the connector. I ended up putting a very small screw between the tab on the rj45 connector and the rj45 female end on the hub to hold it into place. It might just be the cheapo ends that I have for my network cables, but it caused me no end of grief. once I sorted that out I don't have problems with programming my SSCs anymore.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Ok, to be clear, I program the pic, checksums are correct.  I put the program jumper on, hook up to hub, run utility, nothing happens.  No rapid flashing.  Remove jumper.  Go back to the pickit3 to look and the checksum is different. 

Checked the orientation and numbers on all chips on the hub.  They are in correctly and oriented properly.  I have the shunts on all universe 1's like in the manual.  Sorry about this, I am stumped at what could be going on.  I'll see if I can post pics of the hub and an ssc.

Also, ran all cat5 cables through my tester and they all check out OK.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tbone321

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2013, »
I am strongly beginning to think that he somehow has or is using the wrong firmware. So far, he said that the strings are working with the test firmware.  This indicates that the hub is supplying power and that the both the nodes and the procesor and the output side of the SSC is working.  It also shows that the input side of the SSC is wired correctly, at least as far as power goes.  He said that he also tested the system by connecting an LE to the DMX output of the hub and it worked.  This indiates that the ED is functioning and that the input to the hub is ok.  I'm not sure if simply powering up a SSC will change the checksum but he has noted that the checksum is changing after he attempts to set the starting address.  Unless simply powering up the hub causes it to make changes that affect the checksum (which is possible), this would indicate that the SSC is receiving data but is not outputtig correctly.  The wrong firmware would cause that.  He did say that even a Ver4 unit is not outputting so unless there is something wrong with that one as well, it points to an issue with the hubs PixelNet outputs. 

Posting PIC's will help to determine the issue.  I would post a picture of the system connected as well as closups of the hub and SSC front and back.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2013, »
I also agree that it sounds like the wrong firmware.  I said that back in reply #5 and it seems to have gotten passed over.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline bassmants

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2013, »
I don't think it's the wrong firmware.  I pulled them directly off the wiki, multiple times, checked and rechecked.  Craig, thanks, I will email you.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2013, »
Does the programming utility you are using have grouping?  If not, you are using wrong utility.  I had some issues attempting to "replace the .exe file"...
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline bassmants

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2013, »
Yes it has grouping.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2013, »
maybe he can pull the firmware and post the hex here, someone can download it, install and see if it works for them?
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline tbone321

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2013, »
I think that the best idea would be if he can get Craig to take an actual look at the setup.  The next best thing would be to post some pics so that we can also see what is going on and rule out hardware issues.  A screen shot of the setup utility and how he has it configured would also be really helpfull.

Offline bassmants

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2013, »
I will be meeting up with Craig in the next couple days.  Thank you all for your patience and insight.  I will definitely post what we/he finds.

Terry

Offline bassmants

Re: SSCv3 utility problem/question(SOLVED)
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2013, »
Thanks to Craig for meeting up with me.  After some trial and error, we determined my ED was good, hub was good and string was good.  After several attempts we were able to get the V4 to program.  One V3 was my blindness putting a white/green stripe instead of white/orange on data.  Good eyes Craig.  The other worked after flashing.  We were thinking somehow I was having problems flashing with my Pickit3 vs his Picket2.  Not sure why.  When I got home I fixed the other V3 programmed the pic again and tried the utility with nothing again.  So that got me thinking...must be the utility.  I looked at it and realized it didn't have grouping.  I misread it before and thought if I downloaded the utility from under the V4 it was good.  I then saw the .exe file zwiller mentioned and put it and now all is working.  Sorry for the long post.  I feel like an idiot that I didn't see the grouping window on the utility.  I somehow thought is was something else I guess.  Anyways, I have put 4 more V3's together and a couple V4's together with no more issues.  Thanks to everyone for trying to put me straight. <fp.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2013, »
Been there, done that...  You should be set now.  Happy blinky! 

(perch, walleye, or blue gill guy) Sam
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline CW

« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2013, »
Happy to help another addicted light a holic.  The World needs more animated lights shows!

Craig