Author Topic: Stealing DMX channels  (Read 932 times)

Offline therealbigjim

Stealing DMX channels
« on: October 22, 2013, »
I noticed the other day when I was blundering around attempting to set up universe #2 as my DMX choice that the SSC and nodes (set above 513) also flashed when I was I was testing.  So if I set the DMX to universe #1 and only use say the first 100 channels for DMX. can I use 101 up for Pixelnet channels. with the Zues using 3072 channels and 480 for Merry Christmas letters then 30 more for DSC trees. I have run out of room for a snow flake and Holderman star.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"
        You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
Re: Stealing DMX channels
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, »
First you will need an active hub. I am assuming that you have one. Flash your dongle for Pixel net, then yes you can do what you want. If you are using the both I recommend using the first 100 channels as DMX then the rest as Pixelnet. That way it is easy to set up and track. I use my first 512 Channels as DMX and then the rest for my RGB nodes. I do not use all 512 channels, but I just think of it as 1 universe and have extras just in case. Just remember that the channels 1- 512 (or what ever you chose) will mirror any pixel net channels from 1-512 ( or what ever you chose) on the same universe. I would not use exactly the same number of dmx channels that you have now. Think to the future and expansion....it will be easier if you have more dmx empty that you can use.... Like adding an Aether II or 2.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, »
I have used these extra channels for pixelnet in the past, no problem, with an active hub.

The problem, or potential problem ... is that in the future you may want to move/reassign to a difference range and keep the first 512 for DMX ... I also think its cleaner to do it that way (if you can).

The reason I used these channels was that I was using a pixelnet flashed (dmx) dongle which was limited to 4096 channels and I didn't have enough pixelnet without using some of the first 512 also.  At this point I'm using etherdongles with 16k channels each, so I'm moving these pixelnet channels out of the first 512 and into a range thats all pixelnet, just to make it cleaner and less confusing going forward.

Scott
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]

Offline therealbigjim

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, »
The WIKI will most if not all questions.  <fp. I was reading the WIKI while you all answered and found I was mistaking the usb flashed dongle with the Eather dongle's channel counts ( 4k vs 16K) . I am no where near running out of channels.  I plan on using the Zeus for my mega tree (16x 64 nodes) active hub for letters (8 ssc s) 10 dsc for mini trees. I won' t exceed the active hubs channel count so I plan on using  some 4 port active hubs for my snow flake and holderman coro star. I may use them for the dsc, I have some of the water proof power supplies from holiday coro to use.  I have been reading this stuff for the last two years and its gets muddled in the rush to get it all working.
"If you want more lights sell that old mustang"