Author Topic: MR 16 wiring and use with Kingbright 3 watt tricolor LED's  (Read 9497 times)

Offline tpctech

I have purchased some Kingbright 3 watt tricolor LED to make a LED flood fixture.  I have made a very simple bracket to mount 3 in a standard 1-gang aluminum weatherproof box.   Using a piece of fluorescent fixture defuser and a stainless cover plate with gasket from Lowes.   They work very well on 12v with a 25 ohm 10 watt current limiting resistor per color.   These are common anode (+)  LED's.  It appears that the MR16 board switches the - side which should make them work well.  I have not tried DMX dimming yet as I need to purchase a MR16 board.  They do dim pretty well on my variable bench supply.

See attached spec sheet on the LED's and pictures of my "light"  I am planning on making a mounting yoke to allow simple mounting and aimability.

What do you guys think?

The LED's are about $5.00 each

Any MR16 boards around.

Thanks

KEN

Offline ThaiWay

• Patron Member
  • 1500 C9's are not [i]green[/i]!
Wow nice work Ken!

Would be interesting to see how they project on a wall.

John
Chok Dee! (Thai "good luck" greeting)
John

Unofficial 220V 50Hz Beta Tester

Offline tpctech

More pictures with a poor point and shoot!

Offline MrChristmas2000

Even more interessting is how they compare directly with an MR16 lamp at night.

Tom

Offline wbuehler

• Administrator
  • Dont' that poster look dusty?
Looks Good

Bill

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Ken,

I like them.

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline claytor1999

• Patron Member
Looks nice Ken - I like the enclosure.

Robb

Offline tpctech

I have a MR16 board coming!!  Looking forward to trying it out and see how it works.  If it works like I hope I will be building more.  Is there interest in a coop of sorts?  I am looking at having the mounting bracket fabricated for me.  I can only do so much on my brake!

KEN 

Offline Murl

That's a great idea, Ken.  Those enclosures look like they'll work out really well.

If you don't mind giving away your source - where did you find the LEDs that cheap?

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Ken,

I must say I'm interested but I've not seen enough evidence that it would be bright enough for a "wash" application. Can you show us how much light it puts out against an outside wall at night -- from a distance, not up close?

As far as a coop, you should contact RJ and I should probably direct you to the coop rules...sorry if you are already aware of them...

-Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline PJNMCT

• Patron Member
Ken,

It looks like there might be enough room in the box, maybe with a little larger bracket, to double up on the LEDs. Is that true from your experience?

Thanks,
Paul
Leesburg, FL

Offline tpctech

When I get the MR16 board built I will get the units I built mounted and take a video of changing colors etc.  I also want to experiment with clear verse diffused lens.  I am ordering some more LED's so I will have 5 units to test with.  This will give me control of all 5 units on separate channels on the MR16 board.  My current unit has 3 of the 3 watt Kingbright LED's in the 1 -gang box and is pretty tight.  Keeping the same mounting bracket etc.  It would be very easy to use a 2-gang box and cover plate and just double all of the parts.  The same wall bracket could be used.  I will build one to try out and compare with.  I am also going to do some voltage drop calculations to determine what size wire to run from the LED's to the board for single or multiple units. 

My source for the LED's is direct from KingBright

When this is ready and if there is interest for a coop for LED's, brackets and  resistors.  The other parts are standard Lowes, Home Depot, Menard's or electrical supply house parts.  I will contact RJ to help set it up when we get there. Thanks!

KEN

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Ken:

Have you considered making the bracket deeper? I think the further the LED is from the diffuser, the wider angle the light will be.

Just a thought.

\dmc

Offline tpctech

I tried that!  Actually with the standard diffuser it really does not spread the light much.  It seen to just reduce the output a bit.  I do have some actual lens material that is used with pro LED fixtures to try.  It looks like just a clear lexan window will work pretty well.  I get about a 10 ft spread horizontal at 7ft.  I will make some more exact measurements in both planes.

KEN

Offline wbbb1

I like the nice clean package you made. Question, I know I read it somewhere and now I can't find it. Where can I get the best price for the MR16 Red Green Blue LED in 32 bulbs (I think it was 32)? Also the Kingbright 3 watt tricolor LED's? Is there any plans to do a Co-Op for the bulbs?