Author Topic: 16 or 32 power cords of what where when  (Read 1421 times)

Offline arw01

16 or 32 power cords of what where when
« on: October 22, 2013, »
A couple of LE's to assemble soon, and was poking around on monoprice for the supply cords and got thinking about all the actual channel cords needed (16).

I cannot think, off the top of the top of my head that any of my old normal christmas decorations have 3 prong plugs.  But got me wondering if there is a good source for the 16 or 32 cords I need to put into the LE's.

Saw some posts about $1.00 extension cords from the dollar store. Those seem to be all 2 prong.  I thought maybe a couple of 16 gauge 3 prong from mono-price since any individual channel will be pretty low in actual amps.

Offline peteandvanessa

Re: 16 or 32 power cords of what where when
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, »
Monoprice has some.

Here's what I used (2 x 16 for my two Expresses):

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

And don't forget the two input power cords as well:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, by peteandvanessa »

Offline Justtazz

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, »
Go to a Good Will or ARC store they have pc power cords for the inputs for $.99 I am sure they would have something that would for the other cords needed.

Just a thought.

Justin
Justin
Aurora, Co

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, »
I use a 3 prong grounded for my input cords but there is no place to connect a grounded connection so it is probably a waste.  I doubt that you will find many, if any, lights that are anything other than 2 wire spt so I use the cheapest 6ft extension cords I can find and just cut off the plug, tin the ends, and connect them to the board.  I have seen folks use spt for the input cords as well if you are not pulling much of a load and they have never had a problem.  YMMV, just my 2 cents.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013, »
I've used dollar store cords -- they are, $1... and work well for these needs.
For my next bunch of LEs, I  going to avoid extensions and connect the power cord directly to the controller.

As I say that, I recall that I have about 160 new 3-prong cords from monoprice that I planned to use for 10 controllers -- and I no longer need them. 

(too much trouble to ship... so they'll likely be fodder for next year's academy)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013, »
I use a 3 prong grounded for my input cords but there is no place to connect a grounded connection so it is probably a waste.  I doubt that you will find many, if any, lights that are anything other than 2 wire spt so I use the cheapest 6ft extension cords I can find and just cut off the plug, tin the ends, and connect them to the board.  I have seen folks use spt for the input cords as well if you are not pulling much of a load and they have never had a problem.  YMMV, just my 2 cents.

Well now I suppose I need to look at the pcb, are you saying, jim, that the incoming from the house side has no grounds to tie off to, or the 16 channel supply side has no grounds to tie too?

Alan

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, »
while the PCB does not do anything with incoming/outgoing ground, you could choose to directly connect the incoming to all 16 outgoing ground wires.  If you have a metal enclosure, then ground it as well.

some suggest there is no point... but why not take precautions?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2013, »
Probably because you are spending good money for nothing and also dealing with getting 18 thicker cables into the case, again for no advantage.  If you are using a plastic case there is nothing to ground and I have yet to see a light string that uses a 3 pin plug so if the items being connected to it don't use it either, what's the point?  If it makes you feel better to use them then by all means .........
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline arw01

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, »
I may tie them all into the box with a copper crimp like you use in an electrical box with a fair number of ground lines, wrap that or put in shrink wrap to keep it from touching anything.

I will rethink the 3 conductor lines and check the dollar store.

It's a good tip on the goodwill and arc, however, ours are over priced on things like this.  The computer store used to carry a lot of power cords for a $1.00 but I've only found one "extension" cord there to give me female ends for the light strings.

i had considered doing some of the lynx outgoing cords longer than others to maybe get a ways towards or even too some of the lights vs an extension cord.  I can see a small fortune in extension cords for some of you fellows!