Author Topic: length of smart strings  (Read 1276 times)

Offline kernal

length of smart strings
« on: October 23, 2013, »
Ok so I know there is a limit of 128 nodes, but is there a specific length of the smart strings?  I can't remember seeing one, but I very well may have overlooked or missed it.  The reason I ask, is cuz I want to line my roof line with smart strings, but I have about 100 feet in thefront.  And extra 100 foot on the sides that would be visible to cars.  Andybody have big lengths between nodes?
My license plate says blinky.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: length of smart strings
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, »
I've gone 10 feet or so between nodes with no problem.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, »
Remember that if you space the nodes too far apart, not only do you have to worry about signal issues, they don't look all that good either.  C9's are typically spaced 6 inches apart and that looks pretty good.  You could space them about a foot apart and they will probably work ok but they will look sparse.  I would space them at 6 inches and use 200 nodes to span the 100 feet.  I know that the limit per SSC is 128 but you could use 2 100 node strings spaced at 6 inches to cover your 100 ft span.  The SSC's could be placed at the ends of the run and all you would need to do is reverse the node order on one of the SSC's and as far as the sequencing software goes, it would look like a single 200 node string.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline kernal

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, »
Yeah i was thinkin 6" btwn nodes.  But i was thinkin of puting the controllers next to each other for ease of running the wires.  I know this is an old issue, but what about the 4 core over cat5 connections?  Being roof line, waterproof is crucial.  Thoughts?
My license plate says blinky.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, »
50 feet between the controller and the first node is really pushing it and probably will be tempermental at best.  The problem is that then nodes don't use a separate signal ground and that really limits the effectiveness of twisted pairs ability to cancel out noise.  If you are going to run a long line to the middle of the run, you may as well just put the second SSC in the middle of the string and use CAT 5 to connect to it as usual.  Paint it flat black and it will not be seen while the show is running.

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, »
fyi - most C9(s) use 12" spacing, some newer strings cut it down to 10" in recent years.

I'm doing 3" spacing on my Ray Wu SS nodes for the roof lines this year. 

You can also cover up a node (black it out or turn it off) and use it as a repeater if needed.

I agree, too sparse would not look good.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline keitha43

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2013, »
C7 led strings use 8" spacing and it looks pretty good.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk 2.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013, »
I agree with Scott the classic c9 spacing is 12" and it would be the best solution for long runs.  As of now there really isn't a true c9 rgb solution.  There is a dual 5050 node out but it is 8" standard spacing.  Even then I doubt it's output would be comparable.  IMO the current popular node is closer to a low watt c7 and no where near a c9.  To me the issue is density.  Longer distance, fewer bulbs, higher output.  And vice versa.  c9's on 12" centers = c7's on 6" centers = 100ct minis per linear foot.  You might consider waiting for a better cost effective solution or just drop the coin like the rest of us.   ;D
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2013, »
I forgot that the C9's that I am using are not real C9's and are spaced 6 inches apart.  Since the current smart strings have a light output similar to that of a C7 and C7 strings average arund 6 inches apart, that is the density that I would go with, especially with them up on the top of the house.

Offline keitha43

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2013, »
C7 led strings from all the major vendors are on a 8" spacing. I have bought from all of them. My house is outlined in 3 colors of C7's (at least until I can afford to convert it all to RGB).