Author Topic: Double mounting in CG-1500  (Read 1791 times)

Offline ChristmasattheY

Double mounting in CG-1500
« on: October 23, 2013, »
So I'm in the process of fitting two LE into a CG-1500 and ran into a potential problem.  After getting the two into the enclosure using drywall anchors as spacers for the boards (yes the I borrowed that idea from a previous post) the pins for the input power land almost directly above the 4700uf cap.  Does this pose a risk?

Offline tbone321

Re: Double mounting in CG-1500
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, »
Yea, it kinda does.  You have a metal surface within milimeters of 120VAC.  You need to put something on top of that cap that will both insulate and protect the top of that cap. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ChristmasattheY

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, »
I did the duh moment after posting this and having some dinner. I reversed the two boards and now there is no contact. Some times just posting makes this come to light.

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, »
Also if you read some of the posts from around a year ago someone posted mounting 2 expresses in one enclosure. They highlighted so potencal probe withdoing that. Sorry ddon't have the link. Hope that helps

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, »
Just watch out for heat build up.  If you are controlling LED's or minimal strings, then it is not an issue but if you are pushing the LE's to their limit ......
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline ChristmasattheY

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, »
I've two of these setups for my 64 channel mega and each controller is for sepearate colors and one string per channel. .34 for most channels and a total of 5 amp for each controller I'm not too worried about any heat buildup. Thanks for the input from all.

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, »
Can you post some pic's of the completed unit? I'm always looking to steal others ideas.  ;D

Offline ChristmasattheY

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Can you post some pic's of the completed unit? I'm always looking to steal others ideas.  ;D
So you can BORROW the idea.  Here is a pic of the first PCB mounted in the case.  I'm waiting on a few pipe clamps as the two will be mounted on my mega tree pipe and I need to get the clamps mounted to the case before getting the second one in.  So borrowing another idea from last year I used drywall anchors cut down to get spacers for the bolts to go through.  First under the boards they are cut to about 3/8" and above the board they are around 2 - 2 1/2".  For the short bolts somewhere around 1" and the longs bolts around 3" just to have a little extra. I found that 8-32 bolts work the best. All bolts run through the case.  As for wiring since all the channels will be 1x 100 incans I'm not worried about wire size and wired them to 8x 9pin molex connectors for easy connect.  (I'm using the RGBW mega strings)  The second controller will mount at the bottom of the case.  I will post pics in a few days with the complete set up. 

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, »
Very nice! I look forward to seeing the finished pics. <pop..

Offline ChristmasattheY

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2013, »
So final pics of the mounting.  The first pic is the rats nest of wires, yes  I know that it is made up of extra mini light string wires.  Don't flame me for using small gauge wire since all channels will only have 1 string of incans on them. Second pic is with everything mounted and tightened to their final position and wired for power to each other via the right side input terminals.  Finally a late thought on how to mount them for my display I found some pipe clamps with a nut already welded on so they are bolted to the enclosure and will mount to my mega tree pipe.