Author Topic: 12VDC Pixelnet Aether  (Read 3583 times)

Offline zwiller

12VDC Pixelnet Aether
« on: October 24, 2013, »
Since I am all 12VDC rgb with the exception of my aethers...  It raises a question.  Could my aether IIs be modded (next year of course!) for 12VDC and pixelnet firmware be developed for the aether II.  They need 35W and that is under the SS limit.  (35W/12V=2.9A).  It would be pretty slick and elegant to plug the aether into a hub port via cat 5...  Obviously daisy chaining is out but that's OK with me. 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline arw01

Re: 12VDC Pixelnet Aether
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2013, »
Brings up another thought, thank you for the post.

Do most of us just tap into the low voltage landscape lighting to power these Aethers?  I have plenty of watts to spare on my timer for the front yard.

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Do most of us just tap into the low voltage landscape lighting to power these Aethers?  I have plenty of watts to spare on my timer for the front yard.

Short answer yes as long as they are 12 volt AC.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, by rdebolt »

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, »

That is exactly what the Aether was designed to work with.  One of the ideas behind the Aether was for it to be able to be used as landscape lighting during the rest of the year.  If you have the wattage available then go for it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, »

Short answer yes as long as they are 12 volt DC.

The Aether II is 12VAC, just like the landscape transformers they were designed to work with.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, »
Tbone beat me to it... 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, »
My apologies thinking SSC!  :-[  <fp. Adjusted my post!

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, »
Since I am all 12VDC rgb with the exception of my aethers...  It raises a question.  Could my aether IIs be modded (next year of course!) for 12VDC and pixelnet firmware be developed for the aether II.  They need 35W and that is under the SS limit.  (35W/12V=2.9A).  It would be pretty slick and elegant to plug the aether into a hub port via cat 5...  Obviously daisy chaining is out but that's OK with me.

The 35W power is not an issue wrt pixelnet.  Power for the LED comes from the AC current.
The incoming DMX does not provide power -- and if you were successful in getting a pixelnet firmware change, it would not draw from the powered-Pixelnet.

I like the idea.

But there are multiple options available to you. 
1) use the active hub to get your DMX signal
2) use the soon-to-be-available Pixelnet-to-DMX converter -- it can be located with the hub, or close to your chain of Aethers

But, the firmware change is certainly attractive!
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013, »
I would just like to remove the need for the AC power and just get it from the single cat 5 like the SSC.  I like the idea.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, »
Here's what I was thinking.  :o (scary, I know)  Bypass/remove the AC rectification stage to use 12VDC and wire pigtail as a SSC so the power over cat 5 from the hub makes it to the board.  Obviously the firmware must change.  Let me be clear, I love my aether IIs and only would consider doing this if it is RJ approved.  It's just that I have to run dmx and separate power, multiple transformers, etc just to power the aethers.  Not trying to change the design, but rather just add an option...

Offline rdebolt

• Patron Member
    • Christmas in Boise
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013, »
OK I could be all wet here, but I think that we just need to be patient...... No I do not have any inside information.... Just a hunch.  <pop..

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, »
Here's what I was thinking.  :o (scary, I know)  Bypass/remove the AC rectification stage to use 12VDC and wire pigtail as a SSC so the power over cat 5 from the hub makes it to the board.  Obviously the firmware must change.  Let me be clear, I love my aether IIs and only would consider doing this if it is RJ approved.  It's just that I have to run dmx and separate power, multiple transformers, etc just to power the aethers.  Not trying to change the design, but rather just add an option...
[/quote

I guess that I just don't see your point here.  Why do you need separate transformers?  One 300W landscaping transformer can handle 8 of them with ease and you can daisy chain both the power and signal lines between them and once the standalone PixelNet to DMX converter is released, that becomes very easy to do.  Keeping them DMX allows the use of the Lynks wireless system so you don't need a smart hub anywhere near them to use them.  Making changes that set them up as a smart string device will require a hub and even more cabling because now each one will require a separate cable between it and the hub and if you make a change to your display that moves the Aether, you may have to order additional custom length cables. 

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, »
For other DMX controllers, I use power injectors to run +12v/Ground over the unused 3-pairs.
Would running AC over the 3 pairs cause any problem?  Interference maybe?

What's the point?  ...fewer wires stretching around.
I'd do something with the connectors to ensure I didn't mix/match the AC with the DC.
Electronically -- is there a reason not to do this?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013, »

[/quote

I guess that I just don't see your point here.  Why do you need separate transformers?  One 300W landscaping transformer can handle 8 of them with ease and you can daisy chain both the power and signal lines between them and once the standalone PixelNet to DMX converter is released, that becomes very easy to do.  Keeping them DMX allows the use of the Lynks wireless system so you don't need a smart hub anywhere near them to use them.  Making changes that set them up as a smart string device will require a hub and even more cabling because now each one will require a separate cable between it and the hub and if you make a change to your display that moves the Aether, you may have to order additional custom length cables.

The point for me is one cable to the light vs 2

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013, »
For other DMX controllers, I use power injectors to run +12v/Ground over the unused 3-pairs.
Would running AC over the 3 pairs cause any problem?  Interference maybe?

I don't think that would be much of an issue.  Using CAT5 should have the same induced voltages on both signal lines and IIRC, the RS485 works by comparing the voltage differential between the two lines which effectively cancels out that kind of interference.

What's the point?  ...fewer wires stretching around.
I'd do something with the connectors to ensure I didn't mix/match the AC with the DC.
Electronically -- is there a reason not to do this?

Fewer but possibly longer wires running around.  The other down side to me is that if I decide to move them, I would probably have to order new cables.  You could probably just use a different color on the pigtail to indicate AC or DC or as ZWILLER suggested, just convert them to DC.