Author Topic: what is the absolute minimum necessary to test a SSC  (Read 1035 times)

Offline arw01

NO etherdongle or USB dongles in my possesion (awaiting the co-op for the etherdongle)

I have unassembled an active hub, passive hubs, etc.

Someday the zues will come as well.

I am figuring that the etherdongle really converts the ip based e1.31 over to pixelnet that goes out over the cat 5 lines to the various hubs/devices and until that comes I'm dead in the water for testing any of my other assemblies, light strings, nodes etc?

Alan

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: what is the absolute minimum necessary to test a SSC
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, »
If you have an SSC, put the test software on it.  I then took a cutoff rj45 connector and wired the power wires to a 9v battery adapter.  I can run the test of a short string on a 9v battery, Also was able to run a 3 meter flexstrip.  Kind of neat to take to work or a gathering to show what RGB lights are all about and not have to carry a lot of stuff.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, »
If you have an active hub, I would build it.  Unless the only thing you intend to put in your dispay is a MegaTree, you are going to need it anyway.  Once built, you can use it to power your SSC's for testing.  Then as jnealand said, load the test firmware into your SSC and you can use it to test your strings as well as the SSC itself.  Even though I was and still am a big proponent of the ETD, I would also suggest picking up a USB dongle as well.  Even though it is at the end of its development life, it does work well for testing and bench work such as setting start channels.  Sure, you can use the ETD for that as well but not if it s set up as a Conductor.  It is also smaller and lower cost which makes it a better bench tool and can output either DMX or PixelNet with the correct firmware.  You also don't have to wait for a coop because there are no coops for it.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline arw01

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, »
The wiki lists no test firmware on the ssc pages.  There is only test firmware for the DSC on the wiki.

Someone have a link?

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The wiki lists no test firmware on the ssc pages.  There is only test firmware for the DSC on the wiki.

Someone have a link?
there is no test firmware (yet) for a SSC v4.   If you have v1, v2, or v3 -- then you will be in luck.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2013, »
As this is my first year, I have all SSC4, so alas no luck involved here.  I had pm'd RJ to see if he might have something laying about that was un-official a few days back.

Offline CW

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2013, »
I just posted a dongle FS in the for sale area. I have a v3 SSC and pig tail for the string that I can part with. I will even load the test firmware on the SSC. If interested, send me a PM.

Craig

Offline arw01

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, »
pm sent