Author Topic: Timing with the conductor  (Read 1126 times)

Offline peteandvanessa

Timing with the conductor
« on: October 26, 2013, »
Well I finally chased down a timing issue with the conductor.

I sequence using LSP and the recommended audio format is MP3, at 44100Hz, constant stereo.

So I always convert my audio to that format

Where as the Conductor recommended audio format is OGG (which is the only audio format that you can load audio to the conductor)

So I sequence in LSP using the MP3 format (LSP doesn't support OGG audio), now lets say the song is 3 mins in MP3 format.

You export the sequence into conductor format. Then you have to take the MP3 file and convert it to OGG format for the audio to be loaded on to the conductor. Well it turns out that OGG re-encodes the MP3 to be very slightly longer (I think it's longer, or it could be the other way round), not by much, but enough to throw off the sequencing by about 250ms (or 1/4 of a second). Not much, but if you have singers, like I do, you can see the difference). The fix for me was to shift the sequence in LSP by 1/4 of a second to get it re-aligned.

Weird, but now I understand why some songs are slightly off at the end of the sequence.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Timing with the conductor
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, »
What would happen if you load the ogg version into audacity and then convert it back to mp3?  just asking.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

• Patron Member
    • Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Well I finally chased down a timing issue with the conductor.

I sequence using LSP and the recommended audio format is MP3, at 44100Hz, constant stereo.

So I always convert my audio to that format

Where as the Conductor recommended audio format is OGG (which is the only audio format that you can load audio to the conductor)

So I sequence in LSP using the MP3 format (LSP doesn't support OGG audio), now lets say the song is 3 mins in MP3 format.

You export the sequence into conductor format. Then you have to take the MP3 file and convert it to OGG format for the audio to be loaded on to the conductor. Well it turns out that OGG re-encodes the MP3 to be very slightly longer (I think it's longer, or it could be the other way round), not by much, but enough to throw off the sequencing by about 250ms (or 1/4 of a second). Not much, but if you have singers, like I do, you can see the difference). The fix for me was to shift the sequence in LSP by 1/4 of a second to get it re-aligned.

Weird, but now I understand why some songs are slightly off at the end of the sequence.

I think frankr duscovered that lsp produces a seq file that is 22hz unstead of 20hz. He corrected this in his lght elf program. Light elf takes msq files and produces seq files

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
What would happen if you load the ogg version into audacity and then convert it back to mp3?  just asking.

I tried that and took the ogg version and outputted mp3, but it's a guessing game whether your shorten or lengthen the audio depending on the encoding. It would be great if LSP could take ogg files, then everything would line up in both LSP and conductor.

The reason I found out about this, is that I filmed one of my sequences last night, then I pulled the video into Windows Live Movie Maker and loaded the original mp3 file (I had seen some timing issues in earlier testing, and had to adjust the timing marks in LSP). And at the end of the sequences the timing was out slightly. Then  I tried to import the audio using the ogg file, but Windows Live Movie Marker doesn't support it. So I had to record the ogg file directly from the conductor onto my PC and then save it out as an mp3 file.