Author Topic: Mounting Flex Strips  (Read 4587 times)

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
Mounting Flex Strips
« on: October 27, 2013, »
I for the life of me cannot find a post someone created where they found an-of-the-shelf metal/aluminum channel material that the flex strip would fit into nicely.

Anyone remember the post?

Offline drlucas

Re: Mounting Flex Strips
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, »
this one?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2013, »
I remember seeing that just before I found what I'm looking for. What you have posted is for the node strings and is vinyl J-channel. I thought what I was looking for was a metal/aluminum channel.

Nonetheless, thanks because I had forgot about that idea too.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2013, »
Flex strips fit into schedule 200 1" pvc and show up pretty good as diffused light.  That is what I and several other folks are using for arches this year.  At about $2 for a 10ft piece you might try a piece and see if it will do what you want.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2013, »
I'm going with 3/4" pex from Homedepot or lowes (haven't put two into tubes to see which on is more light passing as they both have different pressure ratings).  I'm thinking if I went more than 10' long I would use some packing tape with a heavy wire or two on the back to join the tubes to have a minimal line at the joint.

Offline gatorengineer

• Facebook link
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, »
Pex is a good idea, but you still have to get it straight. It's going to look horrible if it isn't straight and just a little sag will be noticeable.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, »
I tried Pex and 1" schedule 200 pvc.  Did not see much difference in looking at the lights, but Pex is more than twice the cost.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline CW

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, »
I used 3/4 Pex last year with SS strips in them. I like the neon look but also the extra waterproofing. Here is a link to Pex  vs schedule 20 PVC, both 3/4".    You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  , the closer tube s Pex.

Here is the tree in action Halloween 2012,  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Craig

Offline ratroder

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, »
If you are mounting them flat against something, lowes sells a product called screen tight. It works very well. The strip fits right into the channel in the center. I used rtv silicone to hold the strips into the channel.

I mounted the strips to my pullers last year and it worked very well.

I made a thread last year about this. I don't know how far back it is by now. I will try to get a link to it.

Link to the screen tight material.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline arw01

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, »
Thank you, I found the thread and the window screen pieces.  Says they may have them at my local lowes, probably will pick up a set to see.

Did you just hang them right under the sofets and how does that look?  Maybe tomorrow I get to start playing with some of that when a controller arrives.

Offline ratroder

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, »
I just ziptied them to the pillars. Laid two strips against the pole and then but a set of zipties over in the gap between the LEDs. Worked pretty well and not noticeable at night. Then, just cut the zipties and carried them in the house.   

Offline arw01

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, »
So your's ran up and down, I was thinking of trying them upside down.  Think they flex strip will still stay in there tight?  Room you suppose for clear shrink wrap tubing to double protect them?

Offline ratroder

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, »
I had mine flush mounted to a pillar and they were facing the street.

Are you going to use them as like washes or something?

If you want to add heat drink then go for it. I didn't and have had no issues.

What strip are you you using? I know the ws2811 fit and are a little loose and I believe the tm 1809 are a little tight, I believe. I can check later.

I can post some more pics if you would like.

Offline arw01

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, »
I bought the 5m RGB WS2811 variety from Ray that he is currently stocking. 

Which section did you find it in at Lowes, over in glass, or back with windows and doors, or maybe over in flashing like roofing supplies?

Alan

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, »
Screen material and supplies at Lowe's are stocked in Hardware.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving