Author Topic: Really bad string - or ground issue?  (Read 667 times)

Offline drlucas

Really bad string - or ground issue?
« on: October 27, 2013, »
I'm back on the roof again "fixing" nodes. I have this one string that for the life of me, I just don't get it. It's almost like I have a short somewhere.  The nodes on the string worked fine last weekend. then it rained. Then today I fixed one node in line of 100 and its fine, but I have another string with 5 replaced nodes. I replace the node I think is faulty and it's not, I go one forward and it's not it, I go one backwards and it's not it. Anyone seen this before?
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline drlucas

Re: Really bad string - or ground issue?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, »
OK....so it was 2 more down the line. STRANGE!!!

AND.....

here is what is worse. I just fixed them up, and on a completely different hub, just cleaned up some of my cat5e cables and turned off/on the lights and what do you know, I now have a new BAD node. I JUST DON'T GET IT!!!! It hasn't rained now in over 12 hours and I just had the lights cycling RGB-All in xlights when I was up there looking at the nodes.

Is there a voltage spike killing the nodes and happens when I turn on/off the hubs? I have the hubs on a dedicated power source (20AMP - GFI).....and it looks like just the two strings of nodes (I have 8 x 100 strings in total).

I guess this is just par for the course, or am I best to contact Ray and just get 2 new stings before it gets much colder? I'll be running the Halloween show (well I hope to be - been WASTING too much time on fixing lights to be sequencing) the next 4 nights and HOPE I've seen the last of bad nodes.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -