Author Topic: Weather proofing Flex strips?  (Read 2277 times)

Offline scharbon

Weather proofing Flex strips?
« on: October 29, 2013, »
I will be using flex strips for the first time this season.  I will be using them on arches.  I have sized my arches so that I didn't need to cut the strips.  Therefore the plastic casing is as integral as it shipped from the factory.  Since the two ends will be pointing downward the chance of water penetrating the end caps is pretty slim.

So am I safe to just mount the flex strips to directly to the arches without additional weather proofing?  Have others done this with success or should I breakdowna nd buy clear tubing from HD and insert the flex strips in those and then attach to the arches?  I think the tubing will add more bulk than I care for, but I care less for ruined flex strips.  I am not interested in diffusing the lights so I don't plan on buying PEX or Schedule 20 stuff.

Any insights? Thanks in advance.

Steve

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: Weather proofing Flex strips?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, »
They should be OK.  I'm not sure what climate you're in, but if the ends are "pointed down" the likelihood of a short is very slim.

I'm using clear heat shrink on some strips where I had to actually cut the strip.  Folded over on itself and crimped with pliers while still hot.  It sounds like you won't even have to worry about it!
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, »
I put mine instead clear tubing, but I had to cut the tubes to get the flex strips through them, so it really doesn't waterproof them much.  It does kind of give you something to put zip ties onto ... as the strip itself it quite fragile.  I fished it through about 3 different piexes of 5/8 tubing .. and the tubing wasn't real cheap.  I later bought some 1" tubing which was way easier to fish it through and much more durable also.   I don't think any of it was necessary for waterproofing, but for protecting the strips ... maybe it was worth it..  All 9 arches did fine lat year, 9 flex strips, no issues caused by weather, but it doesn't rain here ... just snow only.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2013, »
I say your fine to mount directly.  I did a ton of slicing and dicing of flex strips.  I used the kit that came with them to seal, etc.  The strips got mounted to wood frames and were essentially exposed 24/7 and I had no issues.  Only concern I would have is ensuring the leds face the viewer.  I believe the reason folks are using pex or pipe is because the pipe diffuses the light and allows the leds to face the sky as well as allows the curve design.
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2013, »
For arches, I haven't decided if I will cut the strips or attach two pieces of Pex with some packing tape and a stiff wire for a "backer".  One of those items I hope to figure out this week.

I'm thinking of putting them into the pex also for under the soffits of the house or just under the rain gutters.  Have to mount some up and see what it looks like from the street.

For the ends I may use a bit of hot melt glue or just make sure I make a shield that will shed the water way from the strips.  I read others are putting them into mega trees and those get rain running right down them!

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2013, »
I like putting my strips inside the pipe, not because it diffuses the colors, but because it does keep the strips from being exposed to nature.  That being said I had a 7 ft pixel tree with half strips zip tied to a piece of 1/2" metal emt that I painted green and had no problems with water.  I do have a couple of small issues that I believe are caused by pulling the zip tie too tight even though I only pulled them by hand and not with the hand tool that tightens and cuts them off.  As I have begun looking at the problem areas where a node will not light I sometimes find that I can make it light by squeezing or bending the flexstrip where the problem node is.  So bottom line, yes they can be fragile.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline drlucas

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2013, »
I like putting my strips inside the pipe, not because it diffuses the colors, but because it does keep the strips from being exposed to nature.  That being said I had a 7 ft pixel tree with half strips zip tied to a piece of 1/2" metal emt that I painted green and had no problems with water.  I do have a couple of small issues that I believe are caused by pulling the zip tie too tight even though I only pulled them by hand and not with the hand tool that tightens and cuts them off.  As I have begun looking at the problem areas where a node will not light I sometimes find that I can make it light by squeezing or bending the flexstrip where the problem node is.  So bottom line, yes they can be fragile.

I had a similar problem...I think my zip tie was on one of the little black resistors a bit too tight. once I replaced the one part I was back in business.....i'm just zipping my strips to 1/2 pvc....these are exposed to big time wind/rain as the wind is normally out of the NW where I live and that's unfortunately the way my house faces. no issues with water (yet) with the flex strips.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, »
You need to keep an eye on the resistors when zip tying, they break off easily.

I also buy my strip bare and use clear 1/2 heat shrink. The heat shrink is tough as nails.

Offline arw01

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, »

Something like that?

Offline SteveMaris

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, »
This is the one I bought.

Offline ratroder

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, »
Rtv silicon is a wonderful thing. Put some on the ends if you want to be safer.

Offline travailen

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, »

I had a similar problem...I think my zip tie was on one of the little black resistors a bit too tight. once I replaced the one part I was back in business.....i'm just zipping my strips to 1/2 pvc....these are exposed to big time wind/rain as the wind is normally out of the NW where I live and that's unfortunately the way my house faces. no issues with water (yet) with the flex strips.

I only use a zip tie at each end at the part when there is only wires no flexible PCB. Then about every two feet I do a single rap of UPS tape to hold the strip in place. the way I do not have to worry about the flex strip moving around on the tube, I do not run the risk of cutting the flex strip PCB with the zip tie and if there is a problem I can easily replace the tape. I have 14ea 3/4 PVC tubes I use for my eves that are build using this method. They worked with no problems last year. I just put them up this weekend and they still look as good as the day they were made.

Rick S

Offline arw01

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2013, »
Rick do you have some photos of the mounting you use, and how you put them under the eaves?  Trying to figure that part out this week too, amount a dozen other items.

Offline scharbon

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, »
Everybody, thanks for the responses.  Especially the tips on mounting the flex strips to the arches.  I did a test mounting of one with zip strips and tried to not put them on any components, I guess I will have to see if I messed that strip up or not.  Based on what I read here, I think I like the solution using the zip strips on the ends and using packing tape for the rest of the flex strip. 

Looks like another test is due, but it is getting close to set up time for me.  One more week and I'll start.  I have all but two minutes of sequencing my arches done, so I shouldn't be in a panic this year like last.  Looking forward to seeing how my RGB blends in with my show.

Steve

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, »
two of my flex strips are outside being rained on right now  <res.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]