Author Topic: DMX Splitter Output Problem (Problem SOLVED)  (Read 3490 times)

Offline pete peters

Output four on my DMX Splittrer will not work.

Output 1, 2, 3  all work fine.

I have replaced the 485 chip,  Swapped it with other output chips,  I have  replaced the 8 pin socket. I have checked all the solder joints and re soldered the joints.  I have checked the boards foil traces and they check out OK.

I am stumped

Does anyone have any ideas??

Thanks  Much

Pete P
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, by pete peters »

Offline CaptainMurdoch

DMX Splitter Output Problem
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2015, »
There was a missing trace on these I believe.  I think it is documented in the build manual in the wiki.  I think I recall having to put a jumper wire on the one I had to get the fourth output working.

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Re: DMX Splitter Output Problem
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, »
This is clearly the v1 of the DMX Splitter, as the v2/v3 have only three outputs.

And the reason that v1 was abandoned was because of frequent problems with Output 4 operating.

The blue transformers had limited output current and it turned out that they would not drive all four of the spec'd RS485 chips.

If you don't have ambient-air temperature issues, you might try using either this RS485 chip ...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

(Or this one if you're in Minnesota or similar: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)

The illustrations are of SMD chips, but the metadata says they're through-hole.

It also says they only draw 500 microamps, which even times four shouldn't strain the blue transformer.

I make no guarantees.

\dmc

Offline pete peters

Re: DMX Splitter Output Problem
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, »
Thanks Very much to both of you!!

I installed the jumper as shown in the wiki.

Now ALL 4 Outputs work!!!

I will also look at upgrading the chips as well.

THANKS Again!

Pete P