Author Topic: Repairs  (Read 1320 times)

Offline joshuashu

Repairs
« on: October 30, 2013, »
I have a few version 4 LEs that need some work, triacs repaired, a few inputs need replaced, any one here do these and how much do you charge?  Pm me. Would it be cheaper to get some new ver5. Have one already, really like them.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Repairs
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, »
You should add a signature to your profile that shows where you live.  Best solution would be to find someone not to far away that can help you do the repairs and help you learn how to do them yourself in the future.  None of this is that hard and this is a do it yourself group.  Triac replacement is a pain, but not that hard although kind of scary the first time you do it.  Good luck.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline UncleBuck

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, »
This is only my second year at this and I had never soldered anything before, so when I had a Triac go out I thought there is no way I could replace it without screwing up the board. I tried one of the cheap solder suckers and just messed the thing up. I then went to Radio Shack and picked up a good desoldering iron and it worked great. I was sure that in my first attempt I had messed the trace up but after soldering in the new Triac everything worked great. Trust me if I can do it anyone can.  <fp.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline RickeyS

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, »
Also when replacing the triac's I find it easier to cut it off first with a small pair of wire cutters then heat up each leg one at a time and either push it out or small pliers and pull it out.

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, »
Also when replacing the triac's I find it easier to cut it off first with a small pair of wire cutters then heat up each leg one at a time and either push it out or small pliers and pull it out.

I would definitely recommend this too

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, »

+1
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline joshuashu

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, »
I did the repairs to one board last year and a few triacs still failed. I don't have patients or time  with 3 kids.  Plus I think there is some other stuff going on.