Author Topic: Running Smart Strings along side Lynx DMX controllers  (Read 3199 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
So I'm really interested in running some smart strings to build a moving/lighted sign.  Reading the information and watching the video, it says that I can use my existing Lynx Dongle (with a firmware update) to control the SS.  But since the SS uses PixelNet, how would I run my DMX Lynx Expresses?

Can both be run out of the same Dongle?  Since the Dongle connects to the SS Hub, can I daisy chain the DMX off of the hub somehow?

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline twooly

• Blah
    • Todd Woolums
Re: Running Smart Strings along side Lynx DMX controllers
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, »
Yep you would flash your dongle to pixelnet and then on the active hub there is a dmx out.  You'll have channnels 1-512 to use for dmx if you need it.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, »
That's kind of what I thought after I saw there were actually 2 different hubs.

Thank you for the information.
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, »
That's kind of what I thought after I saw there were actually 2 different hubs.

Thank you for the information.
Yes, an active hub allows 512 channels to be accessible as DMX channels.  (the same channels continue to be available as pixelnet... allowing you to use only 16 channels for DM and using 4096-16 channels for pixelnet if you choose.
If you have a passive hub, you will ALSO have an option shortly... the PixelNet-to--DMX board will soon be available and will allow you to connect one of the powered-pixelnet jacks on a board to become the equivalent of a DMX dongle...  512 channels of pixelnet converted to DMX.  Use 8 of these and you'll have 4096 channels of DMX off a single smart string hub.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, »
So as of today, while I am pushing it for this year, if I wanted to implement some smart strings to make a sign, I would need to get an active hub to make it all work together, correct?

Thanks.

Offline scharbon

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, »
So as of today, while I am pushing it for this year, if I wanted to implement some smart strings to make a sign, I would need to get an active hub to make it all work together, correct?

Thanks.

You would need an active hub, AND
a smart string controller (SSC) for each smart string you want to drive (didn't see you mention that in your post), AND
a single rail PC power supply with enough amps to drive your smart strings, AND
your lynx dongle flashed to Pixelnet.

I am pretty sure you know all of those parts.  But from your post I wasn't certain and I didn't want anybody skimming the post thinking that all you needed was an active hub to drive smart strings. 

Steve

Offline tbone321

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, »
That is correct but you need a hub to power the SSC'(s) anyway.  I think that you would be hard pressed to get this accomplished in time for this year, especially if you don't have any of the equipment yet. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, »
Steve,

Yes, I did understand I would need the other pieces to make it work, I was just trying to understand the communications piece.

tbone,

Unfortunately, you are probably right, but it was a fun thought.  I seem to do this every year.  I have all year to do stuff, but it seem that I don't start actually thinking about it until about now...

Thanks.

Jason

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, »
tbone,

Unfortunately, you are probably right, but it was a fun thought.  I seem to do this every year.  I have all year to do stuff, but it seem that I don't start actually thinking about it until about now...

Thanks.

Jason

LOL, welcome to my world.  Actually, you gave me a great idea for next year.  I will probably build a sign module consisting of 8 strips of 30 nodes.  Instead of using 12 SCC's and a hub, I will use one of my Zeus controllers which is all of these things combined.  I do believe that NutCracker has a grid capability which should make it easier to generate text for it.  The reason that I'm calling it a module is that all it will be is a black box that contains the nodes and the Zeus controller.  Then I can build different fascias for it for the different seasons that it will be used for.  Right now it's just Halloween and Christmas but in the future, who knows......  Thanks for spurring my imagination and costing me more money, LOL!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, »
I think if you are committed to it, you could pull it off.  I tinker and design a little bit throughout the year but most work is being done now.  Also, a few years I started my show in 1st week of December.

I think a Zeus is best for a sign/matrix.  COOP hasn't shipped yet but I bet someone will part with one.  In fact, I ordered on extra myself...  Ray has some 60led/meter strips that I think would work well for this but this all depends on your design and size. 

Also consider how you plan to sequence it... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, »
I have no idea about the sequencing.  I've been using Vixen for everything else, so I'd have to make it work with that.

That would be a whole other issue...

Offline tbone321

« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, »
I am not confident that we will get the Zeus controllers in time for much this year and even less confident that anyone would have the time once they do show up to repackage and sell them to someone else in time to build them for this season, especially if some of the components are bulk packed.  The problem for him is that he will still need a hub for the DMX output he needs.  I like your idea of using strips for the sign.  Much easier to mount.  I need to order some samples early next year to see how they look and if the density is close enough for what I want them to do. 

Offline onesmoothhead

• Listen to the Lights New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, »
I am using the rigid strips for my sign (horizontal Matrix). I am very happy with the outcome.  I had to wait two years to implement, because configuring three sets of four rows in a horizontal position is very time consuming. Well right up until xlights and Nutcracker joined forces...now it is easy.  It use to take me 50 hours to configure my scrolling tune to sign and now it is less than a few minutes to build it complete and export back to Vixen. I do have one bad node I will be fixing, but it is real nice.

Offline arw01

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, »
I might get to play with a flex strip RGB tonight, but I thought they lite in three led sections of about 3" long, so the pixel size is a bit big maybe. 

After picking up the plastic drop ceiling grid from Lowes, I was thinking individual nodes on a string with a short spacing would be the way to go.  Paint it black or something, glue the nodes in, use a couple SSC's to drive a total of 200 or so pixels and you could have an 8 x 25 pixel matrix pretty reasonable.

Will take a photo of the smart flex strip lite up to show how small you can get down after I get one lite up either tonight or this weekend depending on other husbandly duties to perform!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, »
It really depends on what chips the flex strips you have are using.  Even though both strips have three LED's per chip, the TM1809 is a 9 channel chip and controlls each LED seperatly.  The other chip being used (WS2811) is a three channel chip so all three LED's connected to it must do the same thing.  My initial idea was to use some of the nodes that I already have but that will require a lot of time drilling holes for each node that I really don't want to give up.