Author Topic: Couple of quick smart string questions regarding length and year-round use  (Read 943 times)

Offline Heinekenator

Hello.

My first question is on the length of a smart string. The wiki says that a SSC will run a string of 128 nodes (the regular ones linked from the wiki), and the approximate length is 33-35 feet. I'd like to install a run of nodes on a gutter across the front of my house, which is roughly 42 feet. It would be far easier to do this as a single string instead of splitting it up. Is it possible to request a string of 128 nodes with 4" spacing to yield a 42 foot run, and is that something that the SSC (and cat5) can handle?

My second question is regarding year-round installation. I'm in southern NY. I was considering putting the string into some type of transparent tubing (yet to be determined), and then wrapping the tubing with some type of UV film/tint. Would the combination of the nodes' inherent waterproof-ness + the tube itself + the UV film be sufficient to withstand year-round installation?

Thanks in advance.

-Greg

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
Yes you can get custom length sizes between nodes from Ray Wu. I would say max (reliable??) distance would be 6' Note: if you want 4" I would ask for 5"  (maybe more) since they are hand made and builder / QC is not always checking the spacing. You might need to inject power for the distance but you will have to test it to be sure (before installing).

We would be just guessing about year round outdoor. I would get a section of tubing and try it to see how it holds up before putting nodes in it.

Let us know how it goes.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline RickeyS

I've had nodes out year round for 3 years now (one of the first to get nodes from Ray) these are the orginal ones (no waterproofing) they are under the eve of my house (so no direct rain). I had to replace two nodes for Halloween this year (out of ~300). when looking at them upclose (not lit) you can see the plastic cover has yellowed some, but when lit them I can't tell the difference between the replaced nodes and the old nodes (replaced with nodes from the orginal order). I live in Delaware.