Author Topic: LSP crashes...related to coedcs?  (Read 2126 times)

Offline lashbyrn

LSP crashes...related to coedcs?
« on: November 01, 2013, »
Does anyone have advice about upgrading codecs.  I follow the KLITE prompts and did what it asks.  I have updated Divix also but I am still crashing frequently during transitions... 

Offline zwiller

Re: LSP crashes...related to coedcs?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, »
Advice?!  Don't fool with the codecs!   >:D

For some reason my 64bit i7 16g RAM box hates LSP 64bit.  Runs 32bit great.  Maybe send a PM to peteandvanessa if he doesn't chime in here, he's had great success with LSP 64bit... 
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, »
Advice?!  Don't fool with the codecs 

+1

You can try to uninstall then reinstall if you haven't already tried that. Make sure you back up your sequences so you don't lose all your work. just a possible option.

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, »
I've had a lot of issues back in the day with the codecs. The current version of LSP is working fine for me in 64 Bit mode.

I do believe what causes some of the issues is to have multiple codecs installed on the same machine. I had similar issues last year (not crashing, but really, really slow processing of sequences and writing effects to the grid, and horrendous problems with optimizing taking like 20 mins to complete). I un-installed LSP completely, then deleted all LSP related folders. And re-booted. I then un-installed ALL codecs, including KLITE and Divx then re-boot.

Then I doubled checked that I had no other codecs installed (there weren't)

Finally I installed LSP, and let it default on the codec install, if you are 64 Bit you need both the 64 bit and 32 bit codecs from KLITE.

If you still have issues with it at 64 Bit, then I'd un-install, delete the LSP folders, re-boot and then install the 32 bit version and only install the 32 bit codecs.

I'm running the latest (version two point eight) of the S/W on a 64 Bit Win7 machine, and I have zero issues with Macros or transitions. The only minor issue I have with the transitions is that the mono transitions (say red middle out transition) do not animate when selecting them on the left hand nav, but it's so  minor that I'm not going to fight with the codec gods  >:D

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, »
I must chime in here. I've had a horrible time with this with multi posts on multi sites. I uninstalled 2.8 64 bit and  all codecs then put back the 32 bit with just the 32 bit codecs and it works good as long as I do ALL DMX  first then do any transitions last. I did a song almost 3 minutes long in an hour and a half. Mike ( mmulvenna ) and I are still baffled as to why it still states 64 bit  even tho its on 32 bit download. So, I suggest go back to 32 bit..😊
Its the most wonderful time of the year.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, »
I'm not sure if you are doing the exact same as myself... but I have found a sure way to crash the application. For me, it has to do with the Enable Transition Undo setting. When I have that enabled and I create  macro with a single effect followed by another macro with 2 effects. If I resize the first transition, the application locks up at Building Transition. We did not use the codecs that came from the LSP installation, we installed them from the KLite site. For anyone's information, the project was freshly loaded, this was not after doing any programming at all. Also, this does not happen when I have that setting turned off.

See video for example.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline lashbyrn

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, »
Thanks everyone. 
This is a rookie question but.... can I run 32 bit programs on 64 bit win7?  will the 32 bit codecs run in 64bit win7?   <fp.

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, »
Thanks everyone. 
This is a rookie question but.... can I run 32 bit programs on 64 bit win7?  will the 32 bit codecs run in 64bit win7?   <fp.
Yes, a 64 bit  puter can run 32 bit programs. I'll be the first to tell you, I've been doing these lights for a couple of years  and every question I ask feels like a rookie question. Don't ever be afraid to ask any question. I'm not.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, by sirloinofbeef001 »

Offline lashbyrn

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, »
Thanks everyone for the input.  By uninstalling everything, and then re-installing the 32 bit version I am at least running better.  Still a translation related crash here and there.  At least the constant "gray screens"  are diminished.  I couldn't get anything done.  Extremely frustrated that I paid $xxx for this program.   

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, »
For those using the 64 bit that is having problems with crashes and lag, try this.
 1) save all your music and sequences to another folder on the desktop
 2) uninstall minleon.
 3) delete all folders in your computer, even the hidden folders. I even went into windows folders and root folders that had anything to do with minleon. Delete the folders in your documents folder as well. This is why I said to save your music and sequences. REBOOT your computer.
 4) uninstall ALL codecs
 5) reinstall lsp 64 bit. DO NOT INSTALL ANY CODECS FROM LSP. Not even the voiceover.
 6) down load codecs from the k-lite site 32,and 64 bit.
 7) open lsp. Before you import your music or sequences, go to the options tab and uncheck ENABLE TRANSITION UNDO.
 8) import all your music and sequences back into the appropriate folders

I haven't had a single problem with the program since I did this except for 1, you will not be able to do a transition without installing another codec. YOU CAN DO MACROS without any problems.
 This worked for me and like I said, not a single problem since.
  Hope this helps for others.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2013, by sirloinofbeef001 »

Offline mmulvenna

• Patron Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, »
I must chime in here. I've had a horrible time with this with multi posts on multi sites. I uninstalled 2.8 64 bit and  all codecs then put back the 32 bit with just the 32 bit codecs and it works good as long as I do ALL DMX  first then do any transitions last. I did a song almost 3 minutes long in an hour and a half. Mike ( mmulvenna ) and I are still baffled as to why it still states 64 bit  even tho its on 32 bit download. So, I suggest go back to 32 bit..😊

According to devs it displays the type of hardware not the the 32/64 bit version of LSP. So if you are running on a 64 bit machine it will display 64 bit even if you have the 32 bit version of LSP installed.
Thanks
Mike

Offline sirloinofbeef001

• Reach for the stars
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, »
Thanks everyone for the input.  By uninstalling everything, and then re-installing the 32 bit version I am at least running better.  Still a translation related crash here and there.  At least the constant "gray screens"  are diminished.  I couldn't get anything done.  Extremely frustrated that I paid $xxx for this program.   
I thought you were running 64 bit?

Offline arw01

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2013, »
Well I just installed yesterday to try the demo as I was beating my head against the wall with way simple stuff in xlights.  Put the stock 64 bit install, but have not put on the 2.8 sequencer yet.

Working with peteandvenessa what does the fox say trying to get my head around it.  Managed to delete the pumpkin layers as I have no singers this year.  Not crashed it yet poking around like an elephant.

Now I'm trying to find where you get to draw elements on your own display preview.. sheesh they hide stuff in this program..

Offline keitha43

« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2013, »
Well I just installed yesterday to try the demo as I was beating my head against the wall with way simple stuff in xlights.  Put the stock 64 bit install, but have not put on the 2.8 sequencer yet.

Working with peteandvenessa what does the fox say trying to get my head around it.  Managed to delete the pumpkin layers as I have no singers this year.  Not crashed it yet poking around like an elephant.

Now I'm trying to find where you get to draw elements on your own display preview.. sheesh they hide stuff in this program..
Right click on the controller. Many good training videos on their website. Much faster than trying to find things on your own.