Author Topic: SSCv4 no device detected  (Read 2329 times)

Offline urthegman

SSCv4 no device detected
« on: November 01, 2013, »
Hello all, I was flashing my SSCv4 controllers and after several successful controllers flashed I got a string of "no device detected messages" and can't get any to successfully flash, even the controllers that I previously had success with, give the same no device detected message. I tried it on another laptop and same thing. It sees the Pickit3 when I check communications. Any ideas on how to fix this? I am attaching a screen shot.

Offline arw01

Re: SSCv4 no device detected
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, »
I get that if I launch the software BEFORE I have the pickit connected with the usb cords.

Also check to see that your computer notes that it has been inserted and removed with audible (if you have not disabled sound or those types of notifications) ques each time it is plugged in or removed from the USB port.

If none of that works, I would run the MPLab software and see if it reports the same issue or not.  Maybe try a firmware update if it finds it.  If it does not find it, I suspect your pickit died an untimely death!

Offline urthegman

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, »
Thanks for the reply, it does make the noise when I put the usb cable in. Looks like I will have to order a new Pickit. Uggh!!!

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, »
Before you do that, start up MPLab and let it reflash the Pickit-3.  It could be that the Pickit's firmware has become corrupt. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, »
Your voltage shows 3.3. It may be low. Try a small bump to 3.5

Made a difference for me on some PICs.

Offline zwiller

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Before you do that, start up MPLab and let it reflash the Pickit-3.  It could be that the Pickit's firmware has become corrupt. 

+1

Ran into this too when doing my SSCv4s last week.  From my research of this issue, the firmware is corrupt.  I uninstalled and and reinstalled program and it fixed it but sounds like mplab does same thing.  Worked for me and I was sure mine was bricked too.     
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, »
Thanks for the reply, it does make the noise when I put the usb cable in. Looks like I will have to order a new Pickit. Uggh!!!

I think you can reset the pickit by holding down the button on the pickit while plugging it in to the usb port. Have the pickit utility running before plugging in the pickit.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline urthegman

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2013, »
Resetting didn't work, bumping up the power either. Off to search for mplab!!! Thanks All!!!

Offline urthegman

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, »
Ah!!! Very interesting, I just took the Pickit off of the SSCv4 and the piece that fits over the 6 pin header stayed on the SSCv4!!!! Do you think I can solder wires from the Pickit circuit board to the piece that came off? Maybe 4-5 inches worth? I have a new Pickit 3 on the way, but I wonder if soldering 6 short wires might make this one work again?

Offline tbone321

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, »
How old is this Pickit-3.  That is a factory defect if I ever heard of one.  I would contact MicroChip about that.  They may be willing to help you out on that one.  Once you crack the case, you are on your own so I would hold off on the mods until you see if they are willing to help. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline urthegman

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, »
It's over 3 years old and I feel like I got a lot of good use out of it. It seems like it would be easy enough to solder six wires to the semi-socket that is left by the missing piece. I will try to post a photo of it, when I get a few free minutes strung together.

Offline urthegman

Re: SSCv4 no device detected (SOLVED)
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, »
As a last resort, I soldered a six pin wire and connector to the end of the Pickit 3 and that did the trick!!! Always good to have a back-up I guess. Thank you one and all for your help.

Offline lashbyrn

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, »
i am having the exact same problem.  Unlikely that 2 users have pickets that suddenly died.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, »
I had this problem yesterday when trying to flash my SSC v4. I had done five and they all worked fine. I found that if my computer went to sleep/standby at all(screen or hd) then the pickit would lose connection causing the problem. I unplugged the pickit an plugged it back in after waking up my computer.
Either that or I did find that I had one chip in backwards. 😁

Offline lashbyrn

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, »
Reloaded OS into pic programmer.  Success! <;d