Author Topic: How do you EXTEND a sequence in xlights?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline arw01

How do you EXTEND a sequence in xlights?
« on: November 01, 2013, »
So I set up a tiny test sequence that inadvertently was like 10 seconds or whatever the default length of a new sequence is.  How in the world do you extend it?  or how would I copy that sequence over the top of a longer one?  Cut and paste seems to not really work.

Offline JonB256

• My website
Re: How do you EXTEND a sequence in xlights?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, »
Was it just an animation sequence? (no music involved)

A few steps that I know will sound confusing at first, but once you get a feel for the relationship between the XML file and the XSEQ files that do all the work, it will be very easy.

I'll make up some fake names to clarify:

• You have two files now, Shorty.xml and Shorty.xseq
  • Create a new Animation sequence of the correct length, create at least one interval and select at least one model.
  • Save this and call it Longer. You now have two more files named Longer.xml and Longer.xseq
  • Close xLights and open the xLights directory.
  • You want to keep Shorty.xml since it has your actual good data but Shorty.xseq can be deleted or renamed
  • Then rename Longer.xseq to Shorty.xseq. Longer.xml can be deleted or renamed.
  • Re-open xLights and open Shorty.xseq.  xLights will automatically associate and open Shorty.xml because it has the same name. You should see all your old intervals and models, plus it is the new, correct length.
  • When you Save the next time, it will re-create and put all the correct data into the Shorty.xseq file.

Done

Offline winwin

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, »
Very neat Jon. I was wondering the same thing,  thanks for the trick.
AL.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, »
My mental image of the XSEQ file is like an Excel Spreadsheet.

Down the Left Side in the Rows are all the DMX and Pixelnet channel numbers (from 1 down to 16k).
Across the top are the Column headings. 20 per second. So, a 2:51 (2 minute 51 seconds) song will have 3420 columns.
The original question involved having too few columns created (too short). My method creates a new version with the correct number.
If you are using an MP3 or WAV file, then the Time (number of columns) is done for you.