Author Topic: Servo Controlled Halloween Display Items?  (Read 17609 times)

Offline dlhoppe

Servo Controlled Halloween Display Items?
« on: November 03, 2013, »
Did anyone have any servo controlled Halloween display items this year? If so, do you have any videos to share?

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
Re: Servo Controlled Halloween Display Items?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2014, »
I know this is an old thread but I have a set of 3 axis robotic skulls that are controlled by a pair of the Bobcat servo controllers....
I tried posting pictures and a video but my browser just seems to hang when I try to post them...
zappedmyself.com

Offline tbone321

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2014, »
Look at the size of the pics.  Large pics can take a long time to upload to the site and there is a limit to the size of the pic that can be uploaded.  As for vids, most are to large to upload and most open vimeo accounts and upload the vids there and supply a link to it in the post.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, »
I'll go with Vimeo for the vid...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is a very basic test of the XYZ servos...  Don't mind the shakiness from my phone camera.....
zappedmyself.com

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, »
This is a very basic test of the XYZ servos...  Don't mind the shakiness from my phone camera.....

The movement was very smooth and I like the finish work on the skull. Any chance you can show a little detail on the 3-axis mechanism. I couldn't quite make it out from the video.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, »
I'll try to get some closer pictures but it's the basic 3 axis design from the HalloweenBob thread on the Halloween Forum... Only a couple hundred pages to go through... I have a PDF of most of it though....

I did purchase the brackets and plexi plate from supplier a few years back but I think they are out of business now..
I used the Lindberg skull kits which are white plastic. I sprayed them with ivory paint, then gave them a wash with dark walnut stain...

I'm using VSA to control the servos but have only got some simple movement sequences......
zappedmyself.com

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, »
OK I have set-up an account at Photobucket so getting the images should be easier

This picture is of one skull mounted and the mechanism of the other...

This picture is of the board showing how everything is connected on the plywood....

I'll try to get some better ones for anyone that is interested.....
zappedmyself.com

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2014, »
Some close ups of the servo linkage:

Basically you are moving the plexi plate with the servos and the plastic skull is attached to it......
zappedmyself.com

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2014, »
Very neat installation, mine are far messier. I used HalloweenBob's thread (and a bunch of other sources) to build my first 3-axis skulls and I am currently putting together a couple of Twisty skulls from You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. Hopefully they will work as well and be easier to put together (at least I won't have to fabricate the parts).
I've been using ctmal's You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login under Vixen 2.1 to program them (you can see some of my results at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login). 
Well good luck and happy haunting.
Ron

Luceat lux vestra

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, »
Thanks...
I'd love to see how the Twisty mechanism works.
Curious to see if it is better that the rod end bearing style..

The joking video looked great..
I hope to get something done in time for this year...
Or maybe next
zappedmyself.com

Offline rick surette

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2014, »
The skulls look great!
I also use VSA, so VSA recognises the bobcat? I am currently using a ssc.
Thanks,
Rick

Offline deplanche

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2014, »
I just started to assemble a skull from Twisty's myself.  Their assembly instructions leave some to be desired, especially when you compare to the detailed instruction we get on here.  Anyway, these videos are a good addition...
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  They don't cover everything and are a bit outdated, but show more detail than you can otherwise find.

Offline packetbob

• zappedmyself.com
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2014, »
rick:
VSA will work with any DMX controller.
The things I found were:
1) I run version 4.x and the original version would not recognise the DLA DMX dongle (though it does work with the Enttec Pro). I sent a note to Brookshire and he sent me a newer version that does work with it.
2) The DMX channel number you select in VSA has to be 1 lower than the real DMX channel number.
3) My version of VSA can only control 128 channels but they can be any of the DMX channels

deplanche:
I'll have to check out the videos and see if the Twisty way is better than what I have used...
zappedmyself.com

Offline Halstaff

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, »
For those still interested in this, the Twisty 3 axis skull kit has not been available since last June.  One of the owners passed away and although I heard they would reopen, that hasn't happened.
Monster Guts just released their 3 axis kit and it's awesome!  About $20 more than the Twisty went for but I think it's worth it.  You can find them at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I did a video of mine which you can see at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline PrenSerre

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, »
I am also working on the same. And in my case VSA will work with any DMX controller.
I run version 4.x and the original version would not recognise the DLA DMX dongle (though it does work with the Enttec Pro). I sent a note to Brookshire and he sent me a newer version that does work with it.The DMX channel number you select in VSA has to be 1 lower than the real DMX channel number.