Author Topic: SSR - Channels 3 and 4 are the same?! (work around implemented!)  (Read 3771 times)

Offline drlucas

I've been able to program two of my SSRs using an etherdongle with pixelnet flashed and using the start chanel app. I used the second method to program it. The issue I am running into is that it appears that channel 3 and 4 are the same. I run a simple chase pattern in xlights and channel 1 comes on, then off, then 2 comes on and off then three and four come on and stays on for what appears to be a two count, then they turn off and one comes back on and around and around the pattern goes.

Any ideas why the two channels are appearing to be "stuck" together?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, by drlucas »
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: SSR - Channels 3 and 4 are the same?!
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, »
You really know how to break stuff.  LOL  We need to make you a beta tester.  I do not have a clue as to how this problem could arise.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline drlucas

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, »
I find I learn more by doing things the hard way!!

I'm just in the process now of trying a different start channel and see if that makes any difference.

I'm running off the first hub in my series so that I'm not dealing with anything downstream. I may pull the usb dongle out to do the programming if this doesn't do it for me... failing that I may reflash the SSR....
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tbone321

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, »
You are aware that the SSR4 is a DMX device, right?!?  If you are really using PixelNet on it in program mode, who knows what that may have done to it.  I would reload the firmware and then set the start channel with a DMX flashed dongle.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline drlucas

OK - I threw in the towel.....but will fight another day :)

The good news with 3 SSRs all doing the same thing and 3 LEs sitting unused I decided I'd use a 12' extension cord and run the fourth string of lights to the LE instead of staying with the SSR. So my SSR is using channel 1,2,3(4ish) and my LE starts now on channel 4. That seems to be a work around I can live with!

Pics below of what I've built....
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2013, »
I am...but on the wiki under the windows programs (lynx software section) the last one in the table says Etherdongle pixelnet Y. I assume that meant I could program the SSR with that. Also, I'm guessing the SSR just cares about the first channel and doesn't really get all 4 sent to it? If that's a safe assumption then I indeed have set it to a new start channel. That's not to say that I didn't corrupt something else in the SSR and a reflash of the pic might actually fix this issue...but I'm going to use my work around :)

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are aware that the SSR4 is a DMX device, right?!?  If you are really using PixelNet on it in program mode, who knows what that may have done to it.  I would reload the firmware and then set the start channel with a DMX flashed dongle.
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

Guess I won't be posting right now...

The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

....regardless its my tune to radio station sign. TUNE is one color, TO is another color and 102.7 is another color. Then I have around the 4x4' frame another 100 mini leds. over all it looks pretty good. 600 or so LEDs to make the sign. my fingers and hands are sore after drilling and pushing LEDs through the coro....
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tbone321

I'm not sure of I would completely trust that chart.  It also says that you can use Ricks color finder program n an SSC and DSC with a DMX flashed EtherDongle.  How is that possible and how come it will not work with a DMX USB dongle?  The DMX firmware is looking for a specific pattern to know where the beginning of the data stream is and that doesn't exist with PixelNet.  The same is true with Pixelnet.  It uses a specific dim code to indicate the end of the data which is also the beginning of the next and that code could be generated at any time in a DMX stream. 

Since ALL of the SSR4's are doing the same thing and not what is expected, I would say that the chart is wrong but the only way to be sure is to set the start address with a DMX device.  Leaving them this way could possibly harm then and that is really NOT what you want to do.

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Guess I won't be posting right now...
The upload folder is full. Please try a smaller file and/or contact an administrator.

That may have been my fault. I tried to post an image directly from my camera (8+ Meg) a few minutes ago and got the same error. I reduced to image to 48k and it uploaded without problem. Try it again
Luceat lux vestra

Offline tbone321

There is a size limit and I believe that it is around 1 Meg.

Offline drlucas

Back view of tune to sign
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline drlucas

Someone needs to update the wiki then if these are not accurate. I will get my lynx dongle out in the mean time
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tbone321

Accuracy can only be determined by testing.  Perhaps with very limited testing or very specific values it may work even though I really don't know how.  If your SSR4's begin to function properly after being addressed with this software and a DMX device, then that would prove the chart to be invalid and then it can be corrected. 

Offline drlucas

.....as far as I got tonight.....I've been able to get the SSR programmed via my lynx dongle and the lynx address utility. Tomorrow I'll drop a 4th wire back on the SSR and connect another light and do the last test to verify that this was indeed the issue (so much for me tossing in the towel - HA!!!).

Anyways, as always thanks for the guidance. At least I know my usb dongle works
-Ryan Lucas-

Offline tbone321

Well, the way that I see it is that if this proves the chart wrong, it allows for it's correction and that helps eveyone that uses SSR4's.