Author Topic: Follow up!! ssr 4 Flashing with incandesants on ramp down.  (Read 2253 times)

Offline animal

Ok, I've got it isolated down to the ssr4s. I'm building 6 from the coop this year for my roof snowflakes which are incand.

I use 8/2012 firmware on the ssr's . With the lynx dongle/dmx and the etd/dmx. In xlights when I ramp down in test mode. The lights start to flicker with almost a flashing as you ramp down. My other controllers work flawlessly. I do not have any snubbers on these and this happens on leds and incands. together or separately. I've only tried this out on my first 2. I'll do some more testing on the ones I'll finish up tomorrow. I'll also pull one from last year and see if it does the same. Just wondering if there has been a firmware change or I just messed up somewhere. ( probably the ladder).
                                                     any incites would be appreciated, I could probably get away with it for this year if need be.
                                                                  animal
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, by animal »

Offline tbone321

Re: ssr 4 Flashing with incandesants on ramp down.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, »
I'm not sure where you are getting that date from.  Are you referring to the firmware or the configuration utility?  I would re download the firmware from the WIKI and reflash the units to start.  Make sure that the CRC matches what is shown in the WIKI after the upload.  Then use the utility to set the start address.  What are the start addresses that you are using?  If the SSR4 still does not behave correctly, try setting the start address with a different utility and see what happens then.  I would strongly recommend using your USB dongle flashed with DMX and directly connected to the SSR4 when you are setting the starting address, regardless of the utility that you are using.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline animal

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, »
Thanks tbone321,
I set the channels with the lynx dongle flashed dmx. The date I gave you was the last time I down load the firmware for the ssr 4s. from the wiki. I'll down load a new one and reflash. Hope that will do it.
.           will follow up,
.                  animal

Offline animal

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, »
 Follow up.   

Ok, so this morning I turned on my laptop, connected the lynx dmx dongle up, pulled out my ssr4 from last year and bingo everything ramped down perfectly, even with the leds, so I pulled in the troubled ones to the dmx out of the one from last year and bingo. Perfect ramp downs even with the leds. Sooooooo I eliminated the ssr4 from last year from the line and just connected the the ones I was having trouble with. again perfect ramp downs even with the leds. Now the only conclusion I can come up with is the reboot of the laptop in which I did yesterday changed the port rate from 9600 to 57k and did not reboot, so maybe that had something to do with it, but does not explain why it did the same thing with the etd flashed with dmx. Sooooooo with me having so much going on with in this laptop, rebooting it seemed to clear it up. It seems to be all good now. If anyone can come up with any ideas of what happen because I'm at a loss. Oh by the way. the laptop is a old pen 4 window xp 1gig mem.

I hate anomalies,    <md..
                                animal
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, by animal »

Offline rrowan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Follow up.   

Ok, so this morning I turned on my laptop, connected the lynx dmx dongle up, pulled out my ssr4 from last year and bingo everything ramped down perfectly, even with the leds, so I pulled in the troubled ones to the dmx out of the one from last year and bingo. Perfect ramp downs even with the leds. Sooooooo I eliminated the ssr4 from last year from the line and just connected the the ones I was having trouble with. again perfect ramp downs even with the leds. Now the only conclusion I can come up with is the reboot of the laptop in which I did yesterday changed the port rate from 9600 to 57k and did not reboot, so maybe that had something to do with it, but does not explain why it did the same thing with the etd flashed with dmx. Sooooooo with me having so much going on with in this laptop, rebooting it seemed to clear it up. It seems to be all good now. If anyone can come up with any ideas of what happen because I'm at a loss. Oh by the way. the laptop is a old pen 4 window xp 1gig mem.

I hate anomalies,    <md..
                                animal

Wednesday effect.

Rick R.
Light Animation Hobby - Having fun and Learning at the same time. (21st member of DLA)
Warning SOME assembly required

Offline animal

<la..

animal

Offline MazdaFan

• Sardinia, Indiana
I work in the industrial maintenance field, and we have a highly technical, accepted industry term for that....  PFM.

Pure F**ing Magic.

;)

Jamie Tomlinson
Sardinia, Indiana
--
When you can keep your head when all others are losing theirs,
you clearly don't understand the problem!

Offline dmaccole

• PacificaLights.info
Pure F**ing Magic.

Back when I made an honest living (circa 1985) we had a proprietary keyboard on computer terminals that had engraved key caps for everything. There was, though, one key cap that was blank.

When we were training newbies we'd sometime identify the key as the PFM key. Other times after we'd performed a "miracle" (from the perspective of the run-of-the-mill user), we'd say we'd used the PFM key.

I sometimes miss performing miracles.

\dmc