Author Topic: just double checking  (Read 1989 times)

Offline lashbyrn

just double checking
« on: November 06, 2013, »
I am just double checking b4 I find myself at a point of no return.  I am converting my LSP sequences v2.8 to a conductor file.  I have a usb dongle that will be flashed pixelnet.  I have set my controllers to indicate I am using a e1.31 dongle in order for pixelnet and DMX controllers to convert in LSP.  I have opened Xlights and converted the conductor files to .xseq files.  I have drawn animation for my converted sequences in Nutcracker.  Can I pick a USB pixelnet dongle after the fact, in Xlights, even though I converted my controllers a e1.31 in LSP?   
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, by lashbyrn »

Offline Justtazz

Re: just double checking
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, »
I could be wrong but if you are using a conductor for your show you cant use a USB DMX dongle.
Justin
Aurora, Co

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, »
Assuming that you saved the files as xseq files and just want to play them from within xlights you could use a usb pixelnet dongle as long as you stay under the 4096 channel limit for a usb pixelnet dongle.  For my show I need an etherdongle, but while that was tied up with my halloween show, I wanted to do some other testing and ran into problems when I reconfigured xlight to use a usb dongle and found that I had exceeded the channel count in my completed xseq files.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline lashbyrn

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, »
I am not using Conductor for my show.  It is just a way to export out of LSP into Xlights (within the channel limits) without having to go through all of the Light Elf "calisthenics."   

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am not using Conductor for my show.  It is just a way to export out of LSP into Xlights (within the channel limits) without having to go through all of the Light Elf "calisthenics."

I had some problems getting *.lms exported from LSP to import into xLights.  I also had problems with LSP to conductor format, imported into xLights.

I found no problems with LightElf to get LSP *.msg into xLights.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lashbyrn

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, »
I am sure Light Elf is fantastic, and I would by happy to use.  I just couldn't get it running.   <fp.  It would involve someone volunteering to coach me through it.   

Offline SCUBA

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, »
How much help do you need?
quick list of steps
1) install Python 2.7
2)install WXpython
3)Install Install Xlights and define your Xlights network layout (you need this to run L E)
4) unzip Light Elf
5)launch command line prompt in the directory created by the extraction of Light Elf.
6) issue the following command: C:\Python27\python.exe "light elf app.py"
7) Wait for Light Elf to come up; settings define the sequence directory and where the Xlights_networks.xml file can be found
8)add sequences
9)file export

don't feel bad if this is a bit much...with hand holding it took me a few times to get it right

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, »
How much help do you need?
quick list of steps
1) install Python 2.7
2)install WXpython
3)Install Install Xlights and define your Xlights network layout (you need this to run L E)
4) unzip Light Elf
5)launch command line prompt in the directory created by the extraction of Light Elf.
6) issue the following command: C:\Python27\python.exe "light elf app.py"
7) Wait for Light Elf to come up; settings define the sequence directory and where the Xlights_networks.xml file can be found
8)add sequences
9)file export

don't feel bad if this is a bit much...with hand holding it took me a few times to get it right

one thing I learned in doing it recently... use the 32-bit version of the Python 2.7
grab the latest light elf files... there was an edit that was needed to a config file, but that was just fixed a few days ago
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline lashbyrn

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, »
I have been unable to do this step:

C:\Python27\python.exe "light elf app.py"

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, »
Did you get everything from the following locations?  ...and use the default directories?

Quote from: frankr
How to use:

First the Pre reqs:
!!!IMPORTANT!!! Make sure you are consistent with what version of the below libraries you download.  Python and wxPython must both be compiled for the same word length, be it 32bit or 64bit.
Quote from: steve gase
I've been told to use 32-bit
Install python 2.7: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  --Don't use anything later than 2.7.x
Install wxPython: (Direct Download) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Install xLights and define your xlights network layout : You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Download light elf files from:

launch a command line prompt in the directory where you place the files from the above light-elf link. (shortcut: in windows 7 hold the left shift key and right click on the directory. select "open command window here" from the resulting menu)

issue the command:
C:\python27\python.exe "light elf app.py"

Usage:
under sequences menu chose add sequences.
add the sequences you want to convert (If you plan to combine only add the files you want to combine, make sure they are in alphabetic order)
under options you can pick individual sequence conversion (each file becomes its own file) or combine (all are made into one file)
when all the sequences are converted you can go to file-> export.

You will be prompted to specify which file formats you want to have generated for you.

Under Options->settings you can specify a non default directory for where Xlights holds the information specific to your comupter.  You can also specify a directory used for the storing the extracted versions of your LSP sequences.  This can make it easier to cleanup the excess files created from extracting the LSP sequences.

If you are in combine mode you should get a pop up to select the media file you want to use.
If you select combine it should be the selected option when you restart the app.

The app will spawn sub processes 1 per cpu core you have in your system.  Each process will convert one sequence to use as much processing power as possible.

There you go.  I hope that people find this tool useful.

Best Regards,

Frank

Offline lashbyrn

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, »
"launch a command line prompt in >>>>>>the directory where you place the files<<<<< from the above light-elf link. (shortcut: in windows 7 hold the left shift key and right click on the directory. select "open command window here" from the resulting menu)"

Should I create a directory or do I install to C:\?

Offline frankr

• Rocklin Lights
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, »
 Install the light elf files into any directory you would like.  Just make sure the files are all in the same directory.

Frank

Offline lashbyrn

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, »
Thanks everyone.  The problem stemmed from Light Elf not being in the python directory