Author Topic: RGB chases  (Read 9775 times)

Offline zwiller

RGB chases
« on: November 07, 2013, »
I do nearly all my sequencing old school grid style.  Never could figure out the chase function...  Seems like it does what it wants and not what I want it to do.  Any pointers or advice?  Can you even use chase for RGB controllers?  THANKS
Sam, who is happy he flashed his etherdongle with newest firmware!

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline taybrynn

• RockinChristmas
Re: RGB chases
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, »
I thought you had to first copy the portion you wanted to chase, then you can chase across timeline and channels and it should use that initial pattern you copied ... it was something like that, but I have used LSP in a long while.
Scott - Castle Rock, Colorado   [ 2 homes, 100% RGB in 2016; since 2008; over 32k channels of E1.31 ]
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline urthegman

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, »
Create an on effect in the first channel that you want the effect to begin in. Select that effect. Right click and copy effect. Click tilt & pan. With mouse over effect press shift. Slide down and over for the duration you want the chase. When you get to the last channel that you want the effect release and it will give you four different chase options, linear chase, ease in, ease out, ease in & out. It will also give you an option to use a color blend over the course of the chase. Hope that helps. George

Offline zwiller

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, »
Thanks guys.  George, your method works great.  I think I've figured out what was driving me batty was that you must drag beyond your intended stop interval.  I did some real crazy things to like copy a 3 channels of effects and chased them over 120 channels and it worked right and created (40) 3 channel effect chase.  This should be a real time saver now.  Anyone reading this should be advised to use another timing mark color for these so that you can keep beat tracks and whatnot preserved. 

"Now, I had heard that word at least ten times a day from my old man. He worked in profanity the way other artists might work in oils or clay. It was his true medium; a master."

Offline Robert

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, »
Create an on effect in the first channel that you want the effect to begin in. Select that effect. Right click and copy effect. Click tilt & pan. With mouse over effect press shift. Slide down and over for the duration you want the chase. When you get to the last channel that you want the effect release and it will give you four different chase options, linear chase, ease in, ease out, ease in & out. It will also give you an option to use a color blend over the course of the chase. Hope that helps. George

Why do you use tilt & pan? If I do the same steps but choose the chaser effect, I get the same results. Am I missing something?

Offline arw01

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, »
I am back on choosing another color for a timing mark..  how do you do that?

Offline urthegman

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, »

Why do you use tilt & pan? If I do the same steps but choose the chaser effect, I get the same results. Am I missing something?
Just the way I have always done it, and it works. I will definitely try it with the chaser effect now as well, do you get more options?

Offline Robert

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, »

Just the way I have always done it, and it works. I will definitely try it with the chaser effect now as well, do you get more options?

No, I don't get any more options.  same as the tilt and pan method. Its nice to know there is another way to chase. One thing I did notice while trying your technique,  I created 6 RGB controllers, with 75 channels per controller. I collapsed all controllers. Then turned the on effect, for channel 1 (1-3), copied that "on" effect and chased it across all controllers. Needless to say, there was an "on" effect for all channels the first 1/2 sec in the first controller, but chased the rest of the controllers fine.

So I tried almost the same process as above, except this time after copying the effect, I clicked undo. Then chose chase, hovered over the empty cell where I wanted the chase to start, shift and dragged the duration, I had a perfect chase over all 450 channels. Maybe this is common knowledge? I learned something new, due to your post  :D

Offline zwiller

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, »
Happy to see that this post led to some good discussion...  Clearly, the chase function is a powerful tool (more than I realized).  As well as applying effects to collapsed controllers which is one of the reasons I went with LSP....

Offline zwiller

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2013, »
Do any of you have a techinques for copy and pasting patterns over collapsed controllers?  IE 4 controllers and a simple pattern that repeats.  If I copy and paste as normal it expands the first controller's cells over the other controllers.  I can cut and paste without the controllers collapsed but it is rather hard to do with that many cells and all of the scrolling... 

Offline urthegman

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2013, »
I don't. But now I have a KUNG-FU GRIP!!!!!! LMAO!!!!!!! <la.. <la.. <la.. <la.. <la.. <la.. <la..

Offline zwiller

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2013, »
 <la..

I have a workaround I use.  I created a "pattern" sequence with fixed intervals with a single controller of 16 channels 1 minute long.  I open this up while working on main sequence.  With the controller expanded (pattern sequence) I create the pattern, copy and then open the other sequence and paste.  I will dig farther but I am fairly confident there is a way to do this like we want to by holding down shift key or something...  Lots of hidden gems in LSP... 

Offline arw01

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2013, »
press shift.

Oh only if I had seen that a couple hours earlier into last night!

Also this only seems to work if the cells are empty, is there a command to make the cells empty vs the off I had filled them with to get rid of other effects I had played with, didn't copy right etc?

Also, in the visulizer do you guys see this copied effect with the correct timing?

I did it over a 10 second period, and in the visualizer for a completely blank set up with just 1 arch drawn, the "leap" is just a second or so long and then nothing for the rest of the 9 seconds..

Oh man, stuff like this drives me batty!

Offline zwiller

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, »
When I get home I will check and see if chase works over filled cells.  I don't see why it shouldn't.

Add a plain old on effect to the interval and see if it lasts 10 seconds...  How did you setup the 10 second intervals? 

Offline arw01

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2013, »
I created a default animation sequence with .5 second timing marks.  I believe that defaults to 2 minutes.

Then I did the ramp up in channel one timing grid spot one.  Copied that, did the control z undo. Then held down the shift key and drug down 30 channels and over one timing mark past 10 seconds and released.

To me it should run 10 seconds in visualizer.