Author Topic: xlights/nutcracker install question  (Read 3113 times)

Offline winwin

xlights/nutcracker install question
« on: November 09, 2013, »
I installed a new hard drive on my pc and reloaded the OS (windows 7). I then installed xlights/nutcracker. The program ran and appeared to work but but when I tried to output to lights for testing, it didn't work.
I installed back the older version "xlights-setup-2012b" and testing worked.

Any ideas what is happening? is there anything that needs to be loaded on the pc for the newer xlights/nutcracker programs to work?
AL.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: xlights/nutcracker install question
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, »
Odds are the older version and new version are sharing the same xlights directory.  The newer versions tend to have them as part of your documents directory, but the old version did not.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

• Nutcracker RGB Sequence Builder
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I installed a new hard drive on my pc and reloaded the OS (windows 7). I then installed xlights/nutcracker. The program ran and appeared to work but but when I tried to output to lights for testing, it didn't work.
I installed back the older version "xlights-setup-2012b" and testing worked.

Any ideas what is happening? is there anything that needs to be loaded on the pc for the newer xlights/nutcracker programs to work?

1) check your setup tab
2) Make sure you have "Output to Lights" checked.

xlights-setup-2012b is almost 2 years old. there was no nutcracker tab, no preview tab, no mvies , .etc.
the setup process is exactly the same as before.

i assume u are using the test tab to check that output works?

thanks
Sean
Littleton, CO
Latest releases You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
xLights/Nutcracker Forum You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Fbook You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline winwin

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2013, »
I should have mentioned it was with xLights_Nutcracker_3_2_3.  if it makes a difference.
I will try with the latest version but won't be able to do this for a few days.
When this happened, I thought that i did not check "output to lights" but that was not the case.
Maybe I should try to completely remove the program and reinstall it? how do you do this? when I removed it last time to try the 2012b version, the previous configuration was still there. 
AL.

Offline arw01

« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2013, »
Silly question, but did you define your controller in the new version?

Offline winwin

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2013, »
Not a silly question, often we overlook the simple stuff. So if you are referring to the setup tab and whether I have specified the network or not, then yes I have. I configured a Lynx USB dongle (DMX type). Now if you are referring to something else, then I do not know what it is. I won't be able to install the latest version just released and try again until next weekend but I am crossing my fingers the problem is gone with a fresh install. 
AL.

Offline smeighan

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2013, »
Not a silly question, often we overlook the simple stuff. So if you are referring to the setup tab and whether I have specified the network or not, then yes I have. I configured a Lynx USB dongle (DMX type). Now if you are referring to something else, then I do not know what it is. I won't be able to install the latest version just released and try again until next weekend but I am crossing my fingers the problem is gone with a fresh install.

if you copy upir xlights_networks.xml (This shows your setup tab info) and your xlights_rgbeffets.xml (This shows your models for nutcracker) we can see if something looks strange.
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2013, »
Your Lynx USB DMX dongle uses a COM port. How have you verified which COM port it is using?  (I open the Device Manager).

Make sure your Network settings are using the correct COM port.

If you use sequencing software (like LOR or LSP or Vixen), make sure it is not running. COM ports do not like to be shared.

Offline winwin

Re: xlights/nutcracker install question (solved)
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2013, »
I forgot to let you know that I removed everything then upgraded version and all worked fine so I am not sure what the issue was. However I remember that I had dumped sequences in the xlights directory then decided not to use them and deleted them. I wonder if there was something there that I deleted that was needed for output to lights.

AL.

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2013, »
... not to use them and deleted them. I wonder if there was something there that I deleted that was needed for output to lights.

Yes, there were a couple of XML files used for configuration. You lost them, so xLights went stupid. :)

Offline smeighan

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, »
... not to use them and deleted them. I wonder if there was something there that I deleted that was needed for output to lights.

Yes, there were a couple of XML files used for configuration. You lost them, so xLights went stupid. :)

besides your sequences.xml there are some xml files that are used by xlights

xlights_networks.xml contains all of the info from your setup tab
xlights_rgbeffects.xml contains all the info from your nutcracker tab
xlights_scheule.xml contains all your playlists and schedules

so dont do a delete of all xml files or you will make xlights like it was a brand new install.

BTW, remember to do the "File,Backup" command daily. This will make a copy of all your xml files into the backup sub-directory under your show directory. now if you accidentally change something, you can easily get it back.
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2013, »
Learn something new everyday - today it was there is a file backup command.  I also sync my directory to one on my home server so I can share files between my desktop, laptop, and my wife's computer.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline smeighan

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, »
Learn something new everyday - today it was there is a file backup command.  I also sync my directory to one on my home server so I can share files between my desktop, laptop, and my wife's computer.

File, Backup has been around since august. Here is the readme notes

3.1.0:  Aug 7,2013    - Enhancement: (frankr) new single BACKUP option now.
                  Goto to "File,Backup" and every xml file you have will be created in the new Backup sub-directory under show show directory.
                  How big are xLight sequences? The xseq file for 12K channels is around 30mbytes, the xml of your sequence is around 30kbytes. As comparison the XML file for LOR for the same song is 800mbytes, for LSP 1.2gbytes. Because xlight sequence files are so small (normally < 50kbytes), we can back them all up quickly.
                  How long to back up over 100 sequences? < 1 second.
                  How much space does 100 sequences take? < 10 mbytes
                  How many times can you do this per day? 1000's.
                  How to use this feature? Just do a "File, Backup" before getting new versions.
                  I would do a copy if you plan on doing lots of edits.  Basically get yourself protected.

i would use it lots, especially if you are actively changing things around.
Sean
Littleton, CO

Offline winwin

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, »
It probably what happened and deleted a (few) file(s) when I purged the folder.
Thanks for the information and backup command... like Jim said, always something new to learn everyday.
AL.