Author Topic: What controller do we use in Vixen 3 for USB Dongle?  (Read 12707 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
I was trying to play around with Vixen 3, but I'm not sure what controller I should use.  I tried the DMX Pro, and it did not seem to work.

I'm running the Lynx USB DMX Dongle and Lynx Express.

I may also be looking to add some smart strings, so if/when that happens, what controller would I use for that?

Thanks.

Jason

EDIT - Updated subject line.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, by jwilliams31 »
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline loveroflife96

• Coop Manager
  • Brandon Christmas 2010
    • My Christmas Display Website
Re: What controller do we use in Vixen 3?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2013, »
I currently have the E1.31 Output Controller on my system utilizing an EtherDongle and SmartHub for smart strings and then DMX coming out of the Active Hub.  Everything is working fine in all my tests so far.

Not sure the controller for the basic DMX dongle.

Duane

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, »
I don't have an EtherDongle, just the original Lynx Dongle.  However, I have a Smart String Active Hub coming, so I will have to upgrade it to PixelNet in order to use it.

Would that same E1.31 work then or is the EtherDongle that different?
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, »
I guess I can always play around and try the different options too in order to see which one might work.  I was just hoping someone else may have had some success to save me some pain.

Thanks.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, »
Vixen 3 is so new that there is not a wide body of knowledge.  You are a pioneer and one who we will be counting on to answer our questions once we start using it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline mkozik1

• Monroe, GA 30655
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Would that same E1.31 work then or is the EtherDongle that different?

E1.31. will not work with the USB Dongle as there is no connection to the network, so to answer your question, yes you would have to move to the EtherDongle or purchase a E1.31 to DMX bridge.
- Mark

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, »
Jim - I don't want to be a pioneer, that's what I have all of you fine people for.   ;D

That being said, from what I've seen so far, Vixen 3 has a lot of potential and some great features, but it is definitely not ready for prime time, which is disappointing.

I guess I'll play around with it to see if I can get any of the built-in controller options to work with the USB dongle.  I do like the fact that it has a web interface.  I was hoping that I could at least use that feature for some testing.  I could stand outside and turn on/off each channel from my iPhone or tablet.

If I get something to work, I'll post back.

If someone else has gotten Vixen 3 working with the USB dongle, I'm hoping they will see this post and post as well.

Thanks.

Jason

Offline egenoup

Re: What controller do we use in Vixen 3 for USB Dongle?
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, »
There is no Pixelnet dongle output plugin for Vixen 3 as of yet.  The conversion of the output plugin from 2.x to 3 should not be too difficult.  RJ already has the source code for his vixen 2.x output plug-in, but he probably does not have time to work on it for vixen 3.  I would look at it, since it can not be too hard to work one up, but I am tied up building new hardware, sequencing for Vixen 3 and fixing bugs in the Conductor output plug-in for Vixen 3. 

On that note, I have the conductor plug-in working and hitting all the right "marks".   I have tested it on several timing sequences and then also an a real sequence to be used in my show and so far it seems to be working as designed.

Sorry I can't be of any more help.  Maybe once I am done with sequencing, hardware building and standing up my show, I will take a stab at the pixelnet output plug-in. It may take about 3-7 days to get one out the door.  <md..

Charles

Offline bartels

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, »
Has anyone gotten a USB Pixelnet dongle to work with Vixen 3 yet?  Is there a plug-in that works?

Thanks,
Jeremy

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, »
I also need a plugin for the usb dongle for vixen 3 anyone heard of any work being done on this?

Offline CaptainMurdoch

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, »
I don't use vixen 3 so I am not sure, but if they don't have a plugin yet you could resort to exporting from vixen and playing in xLights or another player supported by the vixen export.  You should be able to run xLights on the same computer as vixen.

Offline vstar

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, »
jason you should ask this question on doit yourself christmas forum in  vixen3 the guys that designed will answer your question right away  i am using the etherdongle with active hub and then dmx out put to my expresses tests have been great vixen3 is really good and easy
John

Offline tombmatt

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, »
I tried the dongle could never get it to work right. Got and etherdongle thanks to CaptainMurdoch and have finally got it working it took a bit of figuring but got it finally.

Offline Chance

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2014, »
My setup is with the Lynx Express controllers and the DMX USB Dongle.  No smart strings yet.

I was delighted to find that Vixen 3.1 works with the DMX Pro controller.

Offline lizard050

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2014, »
Anyone have any luck with using pixelnet dongles and vixen 3+.  Can't seem to get my etherdongles to work.
Brad
South Florida