Author Topic: What controller do we use in Vixen 3 for USB Dongle?  (Read 12711 times)

Offline Iced

Re: What controller do we use in Vixen 3 for USB Dongle?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2014, »
I know this is a bit of an old thread (about a year since it started) but a few people have updated recently so I thought I'd share my experience with the group... 

I was also glad to find out that Vixen 3 (3.1u1 Build #57 to be exact) works with my DMX Lynx USB Dongle from my laptop running Windows 7.  Something to note is that it's the only comport (COM3) that is configured on my laptop.

However, I am currently having trouble running the same configuration on my workstation PC.  There is second comport on the workstation which is why I noted the laptop only had one.  In Vixen 3 on the workstation, COM3 shows as "(in use)" for some reason and might be related to You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I'm still troubleshooting the workstation

Offline t.jo13

• Coop Manager
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2014, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Anyone have any luck with using pixelnet dongles and vixen 3+.  Can't seem to get my etherdongles to work.

To answer your question no pixenet support that I have found to date. I thought I would add another dmx dongle flashed to pixelnet for some added dumb elements . Tried about everything , plus asked no luck. Just  switched to ETD. What seems to be the problem on not getting the ETD to work? If its a vixen issue there is a few threads on the developer site. If its a working issue there are a lot of talented people here to help . The ETD is rather easy to set up in v3

Joe

Offline lizard050

« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2014, »
I guess I'll have to go back to trouble shooting my ETDs.  I have one that gives the "unknown network" and "invalid Ip address" and anther that wont program.  Gives a opereration failed error on the pic kit 3. Following several post from other with similar problems I wasn't able resolve mine so as I only needed about 6000 pixelnet channel I figured I'd just go with my 2 dmx dongles and vixen 3.  Next chance I'll get I'll restart on the ETD.
Brad
South Florida

Offline RJ

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2014, »
If one wont program it may be a soldering issues on the pic, Is it from the first coop?

I am not familiar with the invaild IP address issue you will need to explain.
You might want to start a new thread for it in the etherdongle area.

RJ
Innovation beats imitation - and it's more satisfying

Offline lizard050

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, »
As I get into trying again with these I'll open a new thread if needed in the ETD section.  The ones I have are from the 1st ehterdondgle coop of 2012.  I believe this is technically the 2nd coop for the ETDs.  Yes I am just getting around to using them as I have been side tracked for a few years. 
Brad
South Florida

Offline NickWaka7

• The Imagination Is A Terrible Thing To Waste
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2015, »
Has anyone figured out how to get it working? I too have a USB DMX Dongle and cannot get it to work. I have Vixen 3.1u2. I would like to use Vixen 3 so I can work on shows year around with the preview screen. Much easier than v2.

Offline Iced

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2015, »
I used Vixen 3.1u2 (Build #66) with the USB DMX Dongle with multiple Freestyles and Expresses in the same DMX Universe without problem.  It's configured as "DMX Pro" with comport settings 115200,8,N,1.  I didn't come across any complications, just make sure you have the right comport.  Vixen3 does require a bit of setup to patch elements to controller channels though - I assume you did this

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, »
I used Vixen 3.1u2 (Build #66) with the USB DMX Dongle with multiple Freestyles and Expresses in the same DMX Universe without problem.  It's configured as "DMX Pro" with comport settings 115200,8,N,1.  I didn't come across any complications, just make sure you have the right comport.  Vixen3 does require a bit of setup to patch elements to controller channels though - I assume you did this

I found a video tutorial for a quickstart on Vixen 3. I did choose "DMX Pro;" assuming that was the correct connection. When I got everything set up, I tried testing out some lights, but they would not light up.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, »
Do you have the proper drivers installed for the USB dongle?  Do not use the Windows default driver because it does not work.  You can get the FTDI drivers from the WIKI.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline NickWaka7

« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2015, »
Do you have the proper drivers installed for the USB dongle?  Do not use the Windows default driver because it does not work.  You can get the FTDI drivers from the WIKI.

I have windows 8.1 which is under the No Longer Supported tab, byt there is a tab that just says windows and doesnt specify which version. Can i get away with this?

EDIT: I got it working. I went back and re did everything. Works fine now, thanks!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, by NickWaka7 »