Author Topic: What are the dimensions on the flex strips?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
What are the dimensions on the flex strips?
« on: November 11, 2013, »
I'm trying to figure out how much I might need. I know the one listed in the wiki is 4 meters long, how wide is the ribbon?  I see something in the description about 10mm, but I'm assuming that's the led size. It looks a bit bigger than a cm in the picture. But I could be wrong, that's why I'm asking.

Thanks

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
Re: What are the dimensions on the flex strips?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, »
The flex strip I bought last year from Ray is slightly more than 5/8" wide (16 mm) and slightly less than 3/16" (5 mm) deep and as you mentioned 4m long
Luceat lux vestra

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, »
The 5M rgb ws2811 that runs on 12v and is $30?  That one from Ray's?

Alan

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
The 5M rgb ws2811 that runs on 12v and is $30?  That one from Ray's?

Alan
I think he means the ones in the wiki

although I might look into the WS2811 strips myself.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, »
There is a surprise waiting on the WS2811 flexstrips and that is that you get 3 pixels lit up for every channel rather than just one.  So it depends on your application and how you want to use them.  I'm using them for arches, but they were unacceptable for a matrix and I would also think for a pixel tree, but could be great for eaves and other outline areas where you do not need single pixel control.  But the price sure is great.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline maffeirw

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, »
There is a surprise waiting on the WS2811 flexstrips and that is that you get 3 pixels lit up for every channel rather than just one.  So it depends on your application and how you want to use them.  I'm using them for arches, but they were unacceptable for a matrix and I would also think for a pixel tree, but could be great for eaves and other outline areas where you do not need single pixel control.  But the price sure is great.

Thanks for the warning. Guess I'm back to the TM1809's unless I can fine cheaper WS2811 flexstrips that allow individual pixel control.
Luceat lux vestra

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, »
Sorry, yes I did mean the TM1809s from the Wiki.

Thank you all for the information.  I was trying to figure out how I could use them to make an FM sign.  If my math is correct, laying these strips horizontally, I could get almost twice as many LEDs vertically than horizontally.

The LEDs are about 33mm apart on the strip, but if I put two strips up next to each other, they would be about 16mm apart.

I guess I could put the strips vertically to get the higher density in a horizontal line, but I'm starting to think about just getting something like the TM1804 and just drilling holes in plexiglass or plywood and I can set my own spacing.

Thank you all for the information.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline tbone321

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, »

Thanks for the warning. Guess I'm back to the TM1809's unless I can fine cheaper WS2811 flexstrips that allow individual pixel control.

The WS2811 is a 3 channel chip which allows it to control a single RGB configuration.  The TM1809 is a 9 channel chip allowing it to control 3 RGB configurations.  There is little chance of finding a WS8211 flexstrip with single LED control because that would require a chip for every LED in the strip which is 3 times the number of chips and considerably more cost than a TM1809 strip using 1 chip for every 3 LED's. 
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline JonB256

• My website
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, »
... but they were unacceptable for a matrix and I would also think for a pixel tree, ...

The many people using LOR Cosmic Color Ribbons for trees will disagree. From a distance (more than 20 feet), it becomes smoother than you'd think.  Still not good for text, though.