Author Topic: Completely sealed?  (Read 932 times)

Offline tjbrickner

Completely sealed?
« on: November 12, 2013, »
Unfortunately I wasn't able to find anything similar to the enclosure recommended for the LE and I'm to impatient to wait :)

I did find a nice 12x12x6 enclosure that I punched holes in for the conduit holding all my wiring but I have questions on sealing and heat.

Since I plan on packing the conduit with Duct Seal after running my wires through I'm expected a near perfect seal.  I'm worried about the wind and snow up here.  We probably won't have any more days that get beyond 40 degrees by the time turkey day hits.  Will I need to worry about the heat that will be trapped in there?  I'll be running half LED and half incandescent strings, 4 of those incandescent are 300 light, the rest under 150.

If heat will be a problem can anyone recommend some good ventilation ideas that will keep the snow out?

Thanks.

Tony
Afraid of heights and I'm still always on the roof...

Offline rmp2917

• Coop Manager
Re: Completely sealed?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, »
The heat should not be an issue. Some people have even added a C9 bulb inside the enclosure to heat up the inside when it gets really cold out.

If you seal the box too tight, you may have problems with condensation. Some people spray the circuit board with CorrosionX to help keep any moisture that may develop from shorting out the circuits.

Rick P.

Offline JoeFromOzarks

• Patron Member
Re: Completely sealed?
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, »
In Southwest Missouri, high temperatures inside the cases are more of a problem than low temperatures.  Still, a 120V C9 incandescent on the really cold days works wonders.

We're using "right angle" flex connectors with "Scotch Bright" pads to allow venting and keep out the little critters.  Inside temperatures stay manageable even with a glowing C9 and outside temps in the 70's.   Shown is a 1/2" fitting, they are also available in 3/4", 1" and 1.5".

Pictures:

:) joe
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, by JoeFromOzarks »
"If it was easy, everybody would be doin' it!!!"        :)