Author Topic: Can LED strings be cut anywhere?  (Read 1303 times)

Offline jwilliams31

• Williams Family Christmas Lights
Can LED strings be cut anywhere?
« on: November 12, 2013, »
I'm new to the LED scene.  I know that working with the incandescent lights, they have to be a certain length based on the voltage in order to not blow out the bulbs.

I was looking at the pixel strings from the wiki (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login).

So if I bought the longest string, could I cut it to any length and not damage anything?

I'm thinking that since each pixel is controlled individually that I could be OK, but I wanted to confirm with those more experienced.

Since they are sold in different lengths, I didn't know if there was something different about the strings that made them work at x length.

Thanks.

Jason
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline njKeever

Re: Can LED strings be cut anywhere?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, »
Yes, you can cut them between any two nodes and use any length you desire.

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, »
Awesome.

Thank you.
Einstein once said: "There are two things that are infinite; the universe and human stupidity. And, I'm not too sure about the universe."

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Yes, you can cut them between any two nodes and use any length you desire.

"any length"...    The DLA smart string firmware limits the max number of pixels in a string to 128.  This was done to avoid over-taxing the cat5 wiring that is normally used to deliver power to the SSC.

the max pixel spacing is 6ft. 

See: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2013, »
I did see that, yes.

Really what I was asking about, was if I bought the biggest string, 128, could I cut it apart and use it for different things without affecting the nodes themselves.

I'm thinking of trying to replace my FM sign.  I have a small one currently that's about 2' x 1' with vinyl letters.  I was going to see how many LEDs I could put into a grid on the plexiglass to make a small moving sign.  It may only be 50 or so based on my calculations.

I don't think I would really have any reason to separate any node by 6' or more, but now I know not to.

Thanks.

Jason

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2013, »
If you look at the string pricing you will see that it essentially the same price per bulb so do not think that the longer strings are giving you a price break.  And shipping is by weight so order the lengths that you need and save yourself some cutting, etc if you can.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline arw01

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, »
BUT custom lengths might delay your order this time of year, so sticking with what's in stock might be wise if you want it NOW..

Alan

Offline jwilliams31

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2013, »
Yeah, no, I wouldn't have gone custom.  I guess it would just be the difference if I really need to go with the max 128 or if I could/should really just order a shorter string.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2013, »
like arw1 said though, if you want them this year, you better order them this week. I ordered on October 16th and ray just shipped yesterday. I had 25 strings so if your just ordering a few you might be ok.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
BUT custom lengths might delay your order this time of year, so sticking with what's in stock might be wise if you want it NOW..

I was not implying custom lengths, but the other shorter lengths like 50, 75, 100.  I would never order nodes in custom lengths, to easy to cut and paste(solder) to the length you need.  Now custom spacing might be another issue, but that should be done in the summer.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline tbone321

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, »
I don't know if custom "lengths" are much of an issue when ordering.  That is pretty easy to do.  What will affect the order time -especially during this time of the year- is custom spacing because that requires changes to the assembly process and does take more time.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving