Author Topic: Mounting strings/strips - slack  (Read 3192 times)

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
Mounting strings/strips - slack
« on: November 14, 2013, »
I have a question for those of you mounting pixels and/or flexstrips to PVC or any other kind of pipe for the purpose of mounting. 

If you are mounting a 30' pixel string (spaced at 4") onto 3 10' PVC pieces are you using couplings at the joints to combine the pipe or using pipe with bell ends?  If so, are you having to space the lights closer together at the joint to allow yourself to pull the next pipe out of the coupling or bell end?  I figured if you mounted each pixel at it's 4" spacing then there would be no slack in the string to disconnect the pieces of pipe.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline njKeever

Re: Mounting strings/strips - slack
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, »
I mounted flex strips inside of 1" PVC and it looks awesome. Diffuses the light very well and still plenty bright.

Offline arw01

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, »
I have a question for those of you mounting pixels and/or flexstrips to PVC or any other kind of pipe for the purpose of mounting. 

If you are mounting a 30' pixel string (spaced at 4") onto 3 10' PVC pieces are you using couplings at the joints to combine the pipe or using pipe with bell ends?  If so, are you having to space the lights closer together at the joint to allow yourself to pull the next pipe out of the coupling or bell end?  I figured if you mounted each pixel at it's 4" spacing then there would be no slack in the string to disconnect the pieces of pipe.

You could just leave a node loose in there to provide some slack, or cut the line at 10' and add a few inches of wire there.

Offline mitch09

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, »
Mine are all mounted to 3/4" PVC. I use a regular coupler to join pieces if PVC. I do find that about 9' is all the length I want in one piece due to it being very cumbersome in the roof with longer pieces. I use electrical tape to mount my strands wrapping the entire length and space it so a node is at the vet edge of the coupler. Giving me about 3" to loop navy to the next piece if PVC. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Offline tbone321

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, »
You could always cut and extend the wires at the corners to give you the slack you need to seperate the pipe at the end of the season.
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, »
I taped my nodes with red tape on white pvc to give the candy cane stripe. I also used regular couplers and screwed them together instead of glue and used male/female crimp connecters to be able to separate them. nothing water proof and everything worked fine.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline tjbrickner

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, »
Looking to do this next year and I'm building a "plan" so I know what I need to spend over the course of next year to make it real.  For those of you with your house close to the road (I'm sitting back roughly 80-100 feet), are you happy with the 3.5" spacing?  Or is a closer spacing provide a nice clean lighted line?

I've decided that I'll cut out a strip along the back of the PVC and run the LED's through drilled out holes.  Mostly to keep it straight and hide the wire some.  Then use a low temp hot glue gun to keep the nodes from receding back through.
Afraid of heights and I'm still always on the roof...

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2013, »
Wanted to follow up with how I mounted my technicolor lights to outline my sidewalk.

I zip-tied each node to 1/2" PVC (with bell ends).  With all of the nodes mounted I can still fold up each of the PVC sticks so it will only take 10' of space to store. 

For the lawn I got 12" pieces of #3 rebar and used 4 pieces of rebar for each 10' section.  I drove the rebar into the ground with ~3" sticking up.  I then held up the PVC to rebar and made a mark with a sharpie.  I drilled a hole on the underside of the PVC at each sharpie mark.  With all the holes on the underside drilled, the PVC simply slips over the rebar and sits atop.

Offline arw01

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2013, »
wow that looks great, got any pix at night?

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2013, »
wow that looks great, got any pix at night?

Nothing yet. Still trying to find someone in my area(Dallas) with a Pickit3 for my EthD that can save me.

Offline arw01

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, »
Fry's?  I ended up buying one off Ebay from J1sys.  A couple of days and you would have it in your possession.

Offline tjbrickner

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, »
That is a neat way to trim the yard.  I like it!
Afraid of heights and I'm still always on the roof...

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2013, »
I like the idea, but would be concerned about future years and trying to pound in the rebar to match up to the existing holes.  I would have let the rebar stick up a little more and then put a zip tie around the rebar and the pvc.  Then I never have worry about where I put the rebar in the future.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline txag2008

• Lights of Nazareth
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2013, »
Got my sidewalk Technicolors up and running.

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2013, »
I like it.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA