Author Topic: LE enclosure ideas for inside?  (Read 2030 times)

Offline winwin

LE enclosure ideas for inside?
« on: November 15, 2013, »
Curious about what kind of enclosure/mounting design you have come up with when keeping your LE indoor.
I put two in an old computer case last year. It worked great for me but I need to come up with something different this year for 2 additional LE (I have another computer case I could use though!).
If next year I move them outside I will go with the recommended enclosure but for now I am looking for something different. Pics would be great!
AL.

Offline mms

• Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates.
Re: LE enclosure ideas for inside?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, »
If it's inside, you could use anything from a big zip top bag to a Tupperware/plastic container from the $1 store/Target/Walmart/Big Lots to a cigar box (if you could find one big enough.)  I'm not sure what the advantages are for having the unit(s) inside though.

Since they're cheap, you could go with a marine battery box.  The board would "float" and there are places for the cords to come in and out.
Like us on Facebook for special content and year-round updates: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Voice-over Inquiries:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline winwin

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, »
mms thanks. thinking along those lines but would like to see how some folks did this.
I can manage my setup such a way that I keep the controllers inside so far...may as well take advantage of this and keep them in a controlled environment.
AL.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, »
I have one mounted inside a polycarbonate case, mostly used to show what's inside the magic boxes that is flashing the lights.
Have Fun!

Offline winwin

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, »
did you build the polycarbonate case yourself? I looked at price at HD but prices were high (more than a CG1500).
AL.

Offline winwin

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, »
I am still curious to see what people may have done to enclose/mount their LEs other than using the CG1500. Thanks.
AL.

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, »
I don't mount mine in the garage, I've seen some who do.
I'd be inclined to build a box around the entire setup using 2x4 or 2x6, and then using a sheet of plexglass that I'd "hook" and latch over the top.  this would allow it to be visible for demos, for observing status LEDs, etc.  When I'd work on it, I'd lift away the plexiglass cover.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, »
Since eventually I will bet that you will move them outside, I would not waste time building anything else, but get some CG1500 and mount them to the wall in your garage.  Then you are ready to move them outside anytime you want and you will not have wasted any time or money on interim steps.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Since eventually I will bet that you will move them outside, I would not waste time building anything else, but get some CG1500 and mount them to the wall in your garage.  Then you are ready to move them outside anytime you want and you will not have wasted any time or money on interim steps.

+1   

like jim said, don't waste your money on something temporary, buy your cg1500 cases now and mount them in the garage so that when your ready to move outside, your ready. just my 2 cents.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline sabie

• Santa's Runway
    • Santas-Runway-Christmas-Lights-Display
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, »
i built this for my mega tree works outside also
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline winwin

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2013, »
I will probably go with the CG1500 eventually but not this year. I guess for now I will use a $1.20 Plastic box from big lots for enclosure. Since it has a cover and no vent, should I be concerned about heat  and condensation? Since it is inside with very little ambient temperature variations, I would think condensation is not an issue. Should I keep the cover cracked open? I could drill some holes for fresh air too.

Sabie, I know some people put 2 LEs in an enclosure but did not see 3 in one before. Is the the CG1500 or are you using something else? whatever you use, well done!
AL.