Author Topic: Controllers require reset after power failure  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Jeffl

• Just remember. Wireless is nice. Copper is king!
    • Christmas In Brandon
Controllers require reset after power failure
« on: November 15, 2013, »
I'm looking for tips on my LE's for when the power is reset.  I had this issue last year where some would require multiple power unplug/plug or reset to get them to come alive after a power failure.  The suggestion last year was to not use the out 2 plug.

This year I'm using a DMX splitter in my setup but I'm only using the dmx out connection.  The odd thing is it's not always the same controller.

Any suggestions would be great as I have +-35 of them to deal with.

Thanks

Offline jnealand

• Patron Member
Re: Controllers require reset after power failure
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, »
I have 10 LEs and have never had that problem.  I'm wondering if it is something other that the LE, like a breaker problem or some kind of power source issue.
Jim Nealand
Kennesaw, GA

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, »
I have 2 that have to be reset after power is supply ed. The others don't have this problem. The 2 that act up just don't respond to dmx. I can change start channel and run the self test without problems.

I have swapped almost all the parts out with one that works without issue, and the problem has remained. So I just keep them as spaires.
Have Fun!

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, »
I recall a couple of years ago one of my LE's would power up just fine but not all the channels would work, it would take pushing the reset button to fix it. With RJ's help he sent me a new PIC chip and that corrected the problem.

Does that seem to be your problem? Did you watch the display to see if it shows 50 or 60 HZ?

2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline peteandvanessa

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, »
I had the same issue on one of my LE controllers. It just wouldn't respond to DMX occasionally after powering it up.
Usually cycling the power would clear it up, but sometimes I have to change the address, power it down. Then power up, change the address and then reset.
Never got to the bottom of the issue.

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2013, »
Last night I cycled power on everything and the large half of the yard came up fine.  The  smaller half had issues.  It's not consistently the  same controllers which is what drives me crazy.

If the power stays on they are rock solid so no worries there.  I'll do some more playing before I go live to see what I can find. 

Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, »
On the 2 I have, I swapped the pic with one that doesn't have the problem, and the issue continues on the same controller. I have swapped out almost every part, and they still show this problem. Wired or wireless. I just keep them as spares. I get the express message, 60 HZ, then channel number. There will be no outputs, pressing reset, express message, 60 HZ, channel number, and all outputs work normal.
Have Fun!

Offline Dennis Cherry

• Maryville, Tennessee
    • Video's of Computerized Lights
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
On the 2 I have, I swapped the pic with one that doesn't have the problem, and the issue continues on the same controller. I have swapped out almost every part, and they still show this problem. Wired or wireless. I just keep them as spares. I get the express message, 60 HZ, then channel number. There will be no outputs, pressing reset, express message, 60 HZ, channel number, and all outputs work normal.

You do not live to ar from me, if you want to bring them to my house we can do some more testing.

Dennis
Cleveland, Tennessee
2013 videos now available You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Offline tbone321

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, »
What version is the controller?
If at first you don't succeed,
your not cut out for sky diving

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, »
All are v5.  I visited each one tonight and checked everything out in the area that was having issues.  The only thing that was odd was three were unresponsive to the mode button and required a "reset button" .  The display, signal, 3v and 5v LEDs were operational but not the mode button.

It didn't appear to matter whether it was a breaker flip or plug/unplug.  I think it's time to leave them hot and let them rock.

Offline duane.mosley

• hearthstonelights.com
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2013, »
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
  I think it's time to leave them hot and let them rock.

+1    that's what I do.
Florence, KY

facebook.com/hearthstonelights

Offline Jeffl

• Christmas In Brandon
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, »
It's now Jan 26th.  For once we never had one GFCI outlet pop all season.  I guess this happens when you have global warming and night time temperatures most nights near 0F.  My biggest test this year was seeing how the controllers performed at low temperatures.

After getting the controllers all operating before thanksgiving, they ran all season without a blip and are still idling in the yard.

And as for my tests with the LE's and how they takes the cold.  My tests showed that they started to shiver at -9F.  By -13F it was getting noticeable.  I can't fault them for shivering at them temps though.

Offline drlucas

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, »
Sadly I had back luck with my LEs this year (my first season). We had wild swings with temps from -40 with windchill to 38 degrees and 3 days no power - odd given the proximity to two nuke plants. Anyways my LEs booted up fine each power outage (and there were many) but I tripped the gfci a few times. Lesson for me next year I buy SPT and do home runs between LE and lawn item. Extension cords unfortunately let water in. Mind you next year my candy canes may be in a tree vs on the ground but I expect to still have the LE in my show.
-Ryan Lucas-
- Pickering, Ontario, Canada, Eh?! -