Author Topic: Trying more stuff from Ray's store...  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Steve Gase

• WinterLightShow in Georgetown, TX
Trying more stuff from Ray's store...
« on: November 15, 2013, »
I thought I'd start a thread where we can communicate what works...  ;D  and what doesn't.   :(

I'd say "NO" on this one.  I got some samples from Ray, and used the SSCv3 in the test.  The lights were flakey when they worked, wrong color, sometimes all off, lots of flickering, ...  it didn't work.

40pcs 50mm WS2811 full color milky ball;waterproof,DC12V input;0.72W
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline combustionmark

Re: Trying more stuff from Ray's store...
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, »
Not having any trouble out of mine. Nutcracker fixed the color pattern.
Have Fun!

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, »
Not having any trouble out of mine. Nutcracker fixed the color pattern.

Same item?  I'll look a little more closely... it almost had the behavior of a bad connection.  I soldered directly to the wire, so maybe there is a problem inside the shell.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  |  110K channels, 50K lights  |  Nutcracker, Falcon, DLA, HolidayCoro

Offline combustionmark

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, »
Same ones. Worked with V2, and now with V3. The dimming was about the same as any other module I have seen.

I don't plan on using them, not happy with the waterproofing, and the light is not even across the ball. Maybe something will come to mind later.
Have Fun!

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, »
Same ones. Worked with V2, and now with V3. The dimming was about the same as any other module I have seen.

I don't plan on using them, not happy with the waterproofing, and the light is not even across the ball. Maybe something will come to mind later.

When I say the pic in Ray's store, I thought they might be the same as the Minleon lights they had at the Academy.  They famously had people try to break them by playing a tug-of-war with the strings.

These will likely be as resilient to stretching, buy I agree that the light placement is not good.  Minleon's light placement was better (direct center).

The shell came apart in halves (like Minleon).  And I haven't tested waterproof -- but I suspect they are not good, especially since water might collect at the bottom (where the LED is found).

Offline Steve Gase

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, »
I thought I'd start a thread where we can communicate what works...  ;D  and what doesn't.   :(

I'd say "NO" on this one.  I got some samples from Ray, and used the SSCv3 in the test.  The lights were flakey when they worked, wrong color, sometimes all off, lots of flickering, ...  it didn't work.

40pcs 50mm WS2811 full color milky ball;waterproof,DC12V input;0.72W

I took a look at these WS2811 strings again after putting them aside.

I found that the issues I experienced were not with the WS2811 chips, but instead the manufacturing process.

The wires that that were soldered to each PCB were poorly done, the solder was on the wires, but there were many places throughout the string where the solder did not join to the PCB.  As a result the lights flickered when they worked at all.

When I resoldered them -- multiple points in multiple bulbs -- they worked fine.

I wouldn't recommend the lights because of the extra trouble involved, but if you had the time to repair them they do look nice and work well with the SSC kits.